73. Hallucinations? Real life? Both are a living hell

Stefan's P.O.V.

I walk up discretely and quietly to Damon's bedroom, knowing that Gillian will still be there. I don't think she went back to her room. I didn't hear her going back there anyway... When I saw her crying in Damon's arms earlier, it just broke my heart into pieces. I really, really messed up this time. I am so into finding that cure for Elena that I believed the brunette and took her side instead of my daughter's, my blood... I am stupid... There's no other word right now. But I am going to try everything to make it better for you... I will do everything for her to forgive me. I don't want to be this father... I can't... That's not me. I lean against the door-frame of my brother's bedroom and cross my arms as I stare at them... Well, mostly, Gillian. Damon still has one arm around her, holding and protecting her. My daughter's face is turned towards me, her mouth is lightly open as she is faintly snoring. She looks so peaceful and angelic... I frown hurt before looking down. It's the first time that she doesn't come see me when she is down... I hate it! But I respect her madness, her temper and her mind. I sigh sadly and hurt before lowering my head.

- You're not welcomed, I hear Damon whispering very lowly voice from his bed. I look back up, knowing he can only be talking to me.

- I wanted to see if she was sleeping, I answer with the same whisper Damon used to tell to me to not wake Gillian up.

- She is, replies, Damon with a serious tone, almost telling me to go. I nod, even though he isn't looking at me and sigh. I want to hug and kiss my little girl... We do it every night before bed usually... Don't, I look back up, frowning confused mixed up with my pain. The three of us won't sleep in my bed. Only her can, continues to whisper, Damon, as he jokes. It's like I can picture him smiling, even smirking. I lightly smile amused but not for long.

- As long as she has somewhere to stay at, that someone is protecting her, I'm good, I respond, still whispering as well. I hear Damon sighing before he slowly and delicately takes his arm off of Gillian, without waking her up. He gently, quietly and discretely gets up from his bed before placing back up the sheet of his bed to cover my little girl's body. Gillian moves and hides her face on the other side. The two of us watch her for few seconds to see if she woke up, but no. She is still sleeping deeply. Damon steps up towards me before he exits his bedroom, pushing the door to decrease the light in his bedroom. However, he doesn't shut it. I follow him walking downstairs and to the living-room before he goes to the small table where the alcohol is set. How long has she been asleep? I ask him as I sit on the arm of the armchair.

- Few hours. She fell asleep while reading with me, answers, my big brother as he pours himself a drink. I nod as I frown hurt. Damon did calm her down... not me this time. I look down, still frowning as I play with my hands. Stefan, I look up at Damon again, still frowning hurt, If your fatherly instinct tells you to go hug your daughter because that's what you need, then go, but do not wake her up, tells and warns me, Damon before taking a sip from his drink. Gillian wouldn't want that...

- She wouldn't want that, Damon, I reply while shaking my head negatively. She would want me to respect her madness against me.

- Yeah, well, if I see your decomposed face like that one more minute I'm going to need a shrink. Go. You have until I finish this drink, he tells me as he shows me his half emptied glass. I look at it for a small moment before nodding positively. I get up from the arm of the armchair and walk upstairs rapidly but quietly. I quickly join Damon's room and slowly push the door open. Gillian is still profoundly asleep. I quietly let a breath out as I slowly and discretely walk up towards her. I gently and smoothly lay behind her before delicately passing an arm around her waist. I grab her free hand with mine and intertwine our fingers together. I softly put my head next to hers as I feel a sudden tear rolling down the side of my face.