62. Control is an art

Elena's P.O.V.

- What are you looking for? I ask to Meredith as the two of us are standing in a control room in the hospital. Dr. Fell is preparing to scan Alaric. I am staring at the teacher, laying down on a MRI couch, waiting to go into the machine. He must be so nervous and scared of what is happening to him...

I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it, explains me, Meredith, nodding as she sounds like she wants to comfort me.

And if it's not? I ask her, frowning concerned and worried for the teacher.

- Well, then we'll deal with that too, she answers, frowning as well as she looks like she doesn't want to think about that part yet. I look back at where Alaric is and see the technician sliding him inside the machine. I have my arms crossed over my chest.

- When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people? I ask her gently and sadly.

- It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal, explains me, the doctor. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy-bodies, lightly jokes, Meredith while faintly smiling.

- But then, why did you protect him? I question, frowning confused.

- Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And because when he and I first met I felt like... she weakly shakes her head while looking at Ric in the MRI scan. I don't know, I... I just kind of want to help him, I nod and smile at the same time.

Alaric's P.O.V.

I stay layed down in the machine, waiting for it to be done. I don't know what is happening to me. It's like I feel but also don't feel myself anymore. It's like I am losing who I am. I stare at my reflection in the mirror in the MRI machine, frowning nervously. Why the hell am I doing this? There has to be another reason. But what if it's really me who have killed all those people, those Founders? Why wouldn't I remember? And what if I hurt Meredith? Or worst, Elena? I quietly sigh while still staring at myself in the mirror. What? My reflection looks like it is glaring down at me with a smirk. I'm not making the same expression... It can't be possible. I start to panic, my breathing accelerates suddenly.

- Everything alright in there? I hear, Meredith asking me. I close my eyes and re-opens them after few seconds. I look into the mirror to see that my reflection is back to normal. It's "me" again.

- Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay, I answer.

A quarter of an hour later, I am in a regular room hospital, getting ready to leave. I am so tired of coming here. I feel like that's all I've been doing lately. First, the accident with the car, then, I get stabbed, now this. I sigh as I put my shirt on when Elena enters the room.

- Meredith says that everything is normal, informs me, the brunette, nodding to reassure me.

- Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach, I answer her, annoyed and madly while puting my phone in my jogs pocket. Elena looks down, staying silent in front of me. I look down as well and look at the Gilbert ring. Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who wore that ring, I say as I look back up at her.

- Look, I'm gonna call Bonnie, the rings were made by a Bennett witch so maybe a witch can reverse the damage, suggests, Elena. I push the ring toward her while staring at her eyes.