64. The last words of a ghost

Elena's P.O.V.

After entering the Salvatore Boarding House, I went straight down the the basement where Alaric is locked up in a cell. The teacher wanted to make sure that nothing happens to anyone since the herbs Bonnie gave us aren't apparently working. I feel bad and sorry for him. Alaric doesn't deserve any of this. None of us do... I have a bag full of stuffs for the teacher to occupy himself the best he can while being stuck here. It's not fun for him... He can't even see the day shining. And he will probably not see it until everything goes back to normal, which means... in a long time. I arrive to the cell door, frowning lightly as I look at the teacher through the barred door window. He is laying down, looking bored.

- Alaric? I call him, hoping it is him and not his crazy psycho alter-ego.

- Yep. Still me, answers, Ric while looking at me. I weakly nod before unlocking the door and pushing it open to enter the cell with the bag in my hand. You know, you shouldn't be in here. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing, tells me, the teacher, faintly smiling as I approach him. I drop the bag to the ground while staring at him.

- Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep, I say as I recount him what I took from his apartment. Alaric picks up a book from the bag and reads the title on the spine of it.

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? asks me, Ric, looking up at me with an annoyed expression.

- What? I ask him back, confused while grabbing the book. No, I grabbed... Damon, I say the name of the vampire while sighing annoyed and dropping the book back in the bag. Thinks he's hilarious.

- At least one of us still has a sense of humor, replies, Ric, while laying back on the bed and smiling.

- Are you sure that you...? I mean you don't have to be kept in here, I tell him, shaking my head as I hate what is happening here. It's not right...

- Ah, no, this is... this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I... or he hid the white oak stake, responds, the teacher while sighing again and looking down. He must be lost and scared and... I mean, it's like Alaric is betraying his own self but while being unconscious.

- We looked everywhere. You... I cross my arms over my chest as I shake my head, the other you, hid it well.

- What's Klaus gonna do if you can't find it? questions, Ric, sounding slightly nervous.

- It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know Klaus stuff, I answer him while sighing again. I see Alaric looking down as he stays silent in front of me. He looks like he seems guilty... like this is all his fault if something happens with Klaus. I sigh before pulling up a chair in front of him and sitting down on it. Listen, Stefan and Gillian are going to watch over you for a little while. Now that Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe so... Damon and I are gonna go to Denver to pick him up, I inform him, wanting him to be aware of what is happening outside of those walls while he is locked up.

- Why do you say that like you're waiting for me to disapprove? immediately questions, Alaric while frowning confused and weakly smirking.

- I don't know, I reply while smiling nervously. Me and Damon. Traveling across the country.

- I guess I'm more curious to hear what Stefan has to say about it, replies, the teacher.

- Actually, it was his idea, I admit, which got the teacher surprised and confused. He thinks that I have some unresolved feelings for Damon, I tell him while shaking my head and looking away. However, I'm pretty sure I sounded unsure and confused when I told him.