1. The meets

Gillian's P.O.V.

I finish applying my mascara on while listening to my favorite music when a horn is heard outside. I look by the window and see my dad leaning on his car waiting for me. I put on my perfume quickly and run downstairs with my school bag on my back. Today is the first day of school for the... I actually stopped counting. I exit the manor after saying goodbye to Uncle Zach and walk to my father. He enters his car and I go to the passenger side.

- So daddy, what should we be this year? Cousins? I ask while buckling up my safety belt and put my feet on the dashboard.

- Well no, he says while starting the engine, I was thinking maybe this year we could be brother and sister. It will be more realistic. I nod when I feel him taking my feet off of the dashboard, and please, stop puting your feet on the dashboard.

- Yes sir, I say jokingly.

He drives us to school and we arrive there in less than half an hour. Dad parks in front of the school and I get out of his car. It seems... like every other schools I went to with dad before. I walk up to the front when I feel my dad's arm going around my shoulders. I smile to him and we walk up to the school office to get our schedules. A woman is siting there so we walk up to her smiling.

- Your records are incomplete. You're missing immunization records, and we do insist on transcripts for both of you, says the secretary. I look up at my dad who takes off his sunglasses and stares at the woman.

- Please look again. I'm sure everything you need is there in both records, compels the woman my dad. I roll my eyes lightly before smiling. We don't change the good usual.

- Well, you're right. So it is, she answered. I smile to the woman and the both of us exit the office with our schedule after thanking her.

- What, come on! We have all the same classes! I say annoyed.

- Lilou, don't start, he warns me. Lilou is my nickname and only my dad calls me like this. It's going to be fun, you'll see.

- Right, like all of the other years, I whisper before sighing. You know what d-- Stefan, God, I hate calling you by your first name even after all those years. I hear him chuckling. I'm going to go find our first classroom period.

- Okay, I'll join you in few minutes. I have to go to the restroom. I nod and walk to our first class.

Our first period starts and it's history. I sit at the back of the classroom while my father sits the row beside mine and two sits in front. People are still coming in until the bell rings. The class is almost full. The teacher Mr. Tanner seems... well, he seems like all the other teachers for now. A girl with brown hair and brown eyes enters the classroom. I swear my breath got cut in my throat. I thought it was my mother for a second. My eyes are burning because of the tears that I can feel coming up. I keep staring at her until she looks at me smiling. I look away and meet my dad's eyes. He nods to tell me that everything is okay. I take a deep breath and the class begins.

- Once our home state of Virginia joined confederacy in 1861, it created a tremendous amount of tension within the state. People in Virginia's northwest region had different ideals than those from the traditional deep south. Then Virginia divided in 1863 with the northwest region joining the union, Mr.Tanner keeps talking but I couldn't concentrate. My dad and this girl just exchange looks. Why is he so smiley and looks at her like that? Is he flirting with her  Does he know her? So many questions turns in my head.

Few hours later, school ends and dad and I drive back to the boarding house. I discovered, as the day went by, that the girl is called Elena. We have History, French and English together. Great! I exit my dad's car with him but he doesn't follow me. What is he doing? I stare at him questioningly. I drop my school bag on the stairs of the porch and walk towards my father.