38. Dinner of awkwardness

Elena's P.O.V.

I'm sitting on the sofa, in the lake house, reading one of Johnathan Gilbert's journals. That man really did wrote his whole life. I guess it runs in the family. Stefan is outside, doing ricochet on the lake. We didn't talk since last night but I hope it will get better between us. I flip a page before starting reading it.

- "With the dying embers of the fire at Fell's Church, the scourge of the vampires had passed. And though war raged all around us, our town was safe from the demons of the night... Or so we thought.'' I frown before flipping to the next page, continuing my reading with interest. "For the monsters we drove to their fiery deaths had begat new monsters."

Johnathan Gilbert's P.O.V.

Flashback Gilbert Residence 1864

I invited the Fell couple for dinner tonight. Now that those vampires are dead, we can feel safer and free in our town. Honoria is sitting at the table while her husband, Thomas Fell, is pouring some more wine. The three of us are enjoying dinner, spending time between friends like before all those vampires drama. We were laughing and talking when, suddenly, a creaking noise being unsettled by footsteps outside, is heard. The Fell and I look over the window to see what is going on outside. Unfortunately, it's night time and the dark is surrounding the house.

- Did you hear that? questions Honoria Fell nervously and scared. Thomas walks over the window and peers out. I stay in my seat, waiting for my friend to tall us what is going on. Thomas walks back to the table and picks up a knife from it.

- Stay here, tells my friend, ready to walk out of the dining room. Her wife, grabs his arm to stop him as she is keeping herself sit.

- No, Thomas, pleads the woman, sounding scared.

- It's all right, dear, reassures Thomas to his wife, the vampires are all dead, he looks at me.

- Yes, Honoria... I call the wife of my friend. She turns around and stares at me with nervousness, they burned in the church. We're safe now, I tell her, making sure she'll feel safe. Thomas lightly frowns before walking out of the house, leaving the front door wide open as his wife watches him exiting the house. Honoria turns back to me, still looking worried.

- Please, Johnathan. I'm worried, pleads the woman right after he husband got outside.

- Very well, I get up from the table, put my napkin next to my plate. I shall go too, Honoria nods, looking slightly relieved that I rejoin her husband in help. I walk out of my house and look around the yard. Thomas is stepping around the yard on my right, looking for anything as he points the knife out in defense. I can prove there are no vampires, I tell to Thomas as I walk toward him. My friend looks at me while I pull out the vampire compass. I hold it and wait. See? I tell and show my friend the compass to prove that nothing happened. For a moment, Thomas looks relieved and so do I. But suddenly, the arrow of the compass starts spinning around and around at an incredible speed. Impossible... I look down at it while frowning. I try to follow the direction the arrow is pointing at but it's impossible. I turn around as I hear a noise and discover that Thomas has disappeared. Thomas? Thomas?! I call the man with worry and scaredness. It can't be a vampire, they're all dead! I walk down the stairs of the porch and look around, my eyes wide open in fear. Suddenly, I feel and hear something falling behind me. I turn around and see the body of my friend, dead and bloody, laying on the ground. Honoria runs out on the porch and sees her dead husband at my feet.

- Thomas! screams Honoria Fell while crying to the sight of the dead body of the love of her life.

- No, stay inside! Get back in the house! I scream but she doesn't listen to me and keeps running. Suddenly, something grabs her and bites her into her throat, draining the woman of her blood. She screams in pain and scaredness before falling on the floor, dead. I watch the scene in horror, not able to move as the vampire turns slowly around to look at me. The vampire walks towards me, his mouth covered of blood and his eyes red shot. When the light of the moon, revealed his face, I immediately recognize that man and I couldn't believe it. The vampire gets closer and closer before biting in my neck.