40. Betrayal

Jenna's P.O.V.

The mystery woman that Alaric refused to talk about since she was apparently dead is standing in front of me, very alive. This is all I didn't need for tonight. I don't know who to look at, my niece, Elena or my ex-boyfriend's supposed dead wife and biological mother of Elena, Isobel. I stare with wide, shocked and stunned eyes between the two of them.

- Hello, Elena, lightly smiles Isobel to my niece. It's nice to see you again, I turn to Elena with surprised, shocked, hurt and sad eyes.

- Again? I ask, surprised that I was able to say something. Elena looks speechless to us. She steps slowly towards the front door.

- So you're the woman who's dating my husband, I turn back to Isobel, even more hurt. I need to speak to Elena. May I come in? Questions gently the woman.

- N-n-no, answers Elena rapidly. I don't even know what to say. It's like nothing is processing in my head right now. Don't... don't invite her in, tells me my niece seriously.

- I need to talk to you, Elena, insists Isobel as she almost pleads her.

- No! Repeats Elena firmly before slamming the door to her face. I look down and back at Elena when I remark her turning around from the door. This is a nightmare. First, Alaric lied to me about Isobel being dead and now Elena knows her and even met her without telling me. Tears roll down my cheeks, feeling betrayed by my family.

- You knew she was still alive? I ask still shocked. Ric? John? Did they know? My voice got a bit more higher with some madness.

- I can explain everything, Jenna, responds the brunette while shaking her head, a single tear rolling down her cheek. Some more fall down mines.

- No, I tell her and run up the stairs.

- No. Jenna, please, I arrive up the stairs with Elena still running behind me. Jenna, please. Wait. Jenna, please wait, I enter my bedroom quickly and slam my door before sliding down this one, crying quietly behind it. I can hear Elena behind the door, call me. Jenna, you have to talk to me. I... I need to explain what's going on. Jenna, please, insists Elena. I bring closer my knees to my chest and put my elbows on them before passing my hands repetitively in my hair. I continue crying and breathing faster and faster while trying to chock my sobs.

Stefan's P.O.V.

When I woke up this morning, Gillian was still asleep next to me. I feel so powerless lately toward her. It's like I can't do anything. I can't take her pain away, I can't stop the werewolves or the witches coming after her, so less an Original. I hate it more than anything. Gillian is so sad, so hurt and yet so brave, so intelligent. I know my daughter, it isn't her scaredness that will stop her and that's why I'm scared. I know she will fight until her death.

After taking my shower and dressing up, I went to my daughter's bathroom to clean up everything that happened last night. I use my vampire speed and in less than 10 minutes, everything is cleaned up. I'll buy her a new mirror and a new window for her shower. I return to my bedroom and remark Gillian sitting on my bed, rubbing her eyes. I smile to my girl as I approach the bed and sit on it, next to her.

- Morning babygirl, I greet smiling and hugging her. Are you feeling better? I ask concerned as I pull away.

- Morning dad, sighs Gillian as she looks down at the covers before glancing up at me. Yes, I think. Today is another day so let's hope it will be... Normal, she tells me without any hope in her voice. I nod, still smiling lightly.