83. At the verge of a nervous wreck

Elena's P.O.V.

It's night-time and I am in the middle of an empty road, walking slowly. I stop after few steps, looking around at my surroundings, my face and eyes completely emotionless. I don't feel anything, I'm not happy, I'm not mad or sad or anything. I'm free. I'm good. I spin on myself and look around for a minute before lying down on the road, spreading my arms out and closing my eyes as I wait...

Stefan's P.O.V.

- We're gonna lose her, Damon, I say to Damon with concern for Elena as my brother and I are walking into the parlor room together.

- She needs time. It's only been a couple days, replies, Damon, not sounding worried at all for her.

- Her humanity's off. She's basically numb to everything that makes her who she is, I remind him with a serious tone as I feel annoyed of my brother's "carelessness". I know he cares for Elena but he is too... Lax. I watch him grabbing a bottle of Bourbon before he pours himself a glass.

- She's a vampire. Off switch is one of the biggest perks. If being undead gets you down, he snaps fingers, voilà, vampire Prozac, he answers, a point of joke in his voice. If I didn't know him well, I would think he is amused of this and isn't taking this situation seriously. Damon takes a swig of Bourbon.

- She burned down her family home with her brother's dead body still inside, I say with a serious tone, reminding him what happened two nights ago. Which I think was completely over reacted but... Who am I to judge?

- Saves us the trouble of having to do it ourselves. I call that a win, answers, Damon, staring at me as he speaks with a serious tone. Right...

Elena's P.O.V.

I am still laying down on the road waiting for a car to approach. I don't how long it can take before a car comes. But time isn't counting for me anymore, people aren't waiting for me at home anymore... So who cares? I just need to live my life however I want to live it. Suddenly, I begin to hear an engine coming towards me, slowly approaching me. Only two minutes later, I hear brakes whistling as the car I heard approaching stops. I still have my eyes closed, pretending to be unconscious or dead.

Damon's P.O.V.

- Worst case scenario : I'll invoke the sire bond and tell her to turn it back on, I tell to Stefan with a slight annoyed tone as I watch him pacing around upset and concerned for the brunette vampire.

- No, her brother just died. If you force all that grief on her at once, it's going to overwhelm her. We need to give her a reason to want to turn it on, he tells and explains me seriously, talking to me like it has been the fifth time he told me this sentence. I roll lightly my eyes.

- Fine, we'll show her a good time, I reply, still not knowing how to do that. Stefan looks away, obviously skeptical about this plan. I know it's controversial, Stefan, but people actually like to have fun, I tell him with a sarcastic tone.

- You really think that's gonna work? he asks me with a serious tone, looking absolutely not convinced.

- There's only one way to find out, I reply to him, shrugging at the same time.

Elena's P.O.V.

Are you all right? Was there an accident? Where are you hurt? Are you in pain? I hear a woman questioning me after she ran up to me from her car, her heels clapping on the ground. I open my eyes, staring at the sky emotionless as I see in the corner of my eye that she has crouched down next to me.