Chapter 102: DID Possibilities

It happened once in a dream. Black teared through the garden where he used to play in. The sound of thumping, clicking, dripping, he couldn't recall which one it was,  but in a sense it was rhythmic. Loud at first, and at some point, the beat became completely silent. It took him longer to notice a faint sound that was almost inaudible. It was the ringing sound, like that of a musical triangle, low at first, then slowly becoming louder until it hurt his ears. He realized then what it was. The sound of thumping was the beat of a heart, and the ringing sound was....

*************

"This can't be good." Dr. Micah stressed as the few people in the room looked through the room across, bounded by a glass wall. Across was Shao Long's still body laying on the hospital bed, completing a CT scan on his brain activity. "His body was put under too much stress, even he could wake up in a week, he wouldn't be able to move for at least a month." 

"From the surgery, you mean?" Xueyang turned his head to him when he thought he had seen enough. Shao Jun wasn't with him. The boy had given full trust on the doctor that he had only met a few weeks ago. 

"Yes. In this case, the body shouldn't be able to create more miracles, it can be seen here from the result. The stress had taken a toll, so the brain acts up to cover for it. Selfish thing, really, the brain. Listens to no one. Does whatever the fuck it wants. Essentially, from what I could tell, it's preparing for a body shut down. Lower metabolism than sleep, lower heart rate than normal, and overall in a state of comatose." 

"You sound as if the brain is such a bad thing." Xueyang rolled his eyes, to which Micah scoffed to. 

"Apparently you don't know enough. A man can die in a few minutes thinking he's bleeding to death just from hearing the sound of dripping water, and made into think that the water was his blood." 

Xueyang looked like he does not need to know that, nor want to, so begrudgingly, Micah let it go. 

"Comatose, you say?" Evan asked, eyes not leaving his student. 

"Yes." Micah turned off the CT scan and gestured for the nurse and other doctors involved to wrap the treatment up for the next one, which in this case is the usual procedure for comatose patients. Since plenty of patients had upped and left the hospital, many of the doctors are available, so it was easy to drag medical officers from other wings to join in their discussion. 

"To be honest, the brain is not so bad. Shao Long's body could endure stress, but the brain shuts it down for the good of both parties. Now, neither would have to endure another round of fucked up assassination attempt, in case someone landed a bomb on the other side of the hospital, we wouldn't have to worry his heart would burst from his ribcage. In short, he needs it, I need it, you also need it, and Satan can just go fuck himself.  If he has an inch of morality in him - which he most likely do not - he'd leave us the fuck alone for about a week." 

Upon the mention of the last few words, Evan's brows perked up. He instantly remembered the call Alex gave him two nights before. 

"Charles said not to worry, you know. He said, why else would he be back to the Academy if it's going to be dangerous there for Shao Long?" 

"Because I made him go back?" 

To this, Alex giggled, light enough to melt the hearts of many, and many includes Evan himself. "No, silly! He said that Xi Shen Ko wouldn't attack in about a week, said that there's enough time for us to plan a counter. He even has Mr. Sage visiting the dorm for discussions." 

"How would he know that Xi Shen Ko wouldn't attack. Did he stalk him?" 

"Nah, but I don't think he lied. There was no way, especially since it involves the safety of our friends."