Chapter 74: Dying Heart

Darkness swept across the vast empty space from which Shao Long had come to recognize as his own head. Barely any light could be seen, and other than this kind of emptiness and suffocating void, there was only one sound. The sound of soft murmurs and distinctive whispers of a voice he could not recognize. Those words had formed those of what you could call....

.......a f*cking lecture about human anatomy.

When Doc was bored, he loved to tell tell stories to his vegetable patients due to the belief that they could hear you when they were in a comma.

A/N: Vegetable in this sentence refers to a state of motionless or comma. This saying belongs to China, so you can say if a person fell into a coma, that they became a vegetable or had fallen into a vegetative state. Quite an interesting way of speech, China.

So out of boredom indeed, Doc found a book about human anatomy and read it to Shao Long. It had to be around one hour reading session when he turned to look at Shao Long, only to be greeted by a fed up face from said patient.

Who knows when Shao Long had woken up, but due to the obvious look of disapproval from him, Doc asked with a happy smile "Did you enjoy the lecture?"

Shao Long : "........."

"Would you like me to continue?"

"Please do. Who knows, I might get a Master's degree on doctrine tomorrow" Shao Long remarked with an unimpressed look.

"Now now, don't say that. I'll stop, okay" Doc laughed as he closed the book and placed it back on the desk by the bedside. "Can you sit up?"

"Yes..." Shao Long supported his body on his elbow and struggled to sit up. He glanced at the glass of water beside the human anatomy book and grabbed it for a drink. His throat hurt.

"Your heartbeat is still too slow. I'm sure you're expecting this, but you need a heart transplant" Doc tried to get any change in Shao Long's expression, hoping to know how Shao Long would feel over this situation.

However, Shao Long disregarded the statement and replied "I don't want to know that. I want to know what happened to my heart".

"Your heart is currently inside the body of your twin brother who is now not present" Doc countered.

"Not that heart." Shao Long pointed to his chest. "This one".

"That one? That one couldn't even be called a heart. It's lost its function a long time ago, and the only thing that supported it was a barely functioning pacemaker" Doc grabbed the now empty glass from Shao Long and refilled it from the jug of water on his desk.

"It may sound a bit off, but Shao Long, you need to know as much. You don't have a real heart in there" he pointed at Shao Long's chest.

Shao Long clicked his tongue and sighed "So is the pacemaker problematic or something?"

"It's not the pacemaker that was problematic, Shao Long" Doc stated as-a-matter-of-fact-ly. "It's just the heart. No matter how strong the pacemaker is, the heart will be too weak to handle. That heart is dying, and so are you".

"You could've phrased it a bit nicer" Shao Long groaned.

"If I speak a little bit nicer, you wouldn't listen. In any case, you've slept for three days already" Doc went to grab his medical tools on his desk.