CHAPTER 17. Slave Traders

I sat on my bed, waiting for River. After Kayla and I came back, they were still talking, so I escaped to my room.

I fell back into my pillows, touching my neck. I was sure that guy had been staring at it, but why?

Because there was a vampire bite? That could be, since they were rare, but why did the guy looking have to be so shady and creepy?

A knock sounded and I slowly sat up. "Come in," I called, and River slowly made his way in, closing the door tightly behind him.

"Why do you sound so sad?" River asked and walked over, sitting beside me. I shrugged and picked at the blanket under me.

"River, how come I never got to meet my parents?" I asked softly, looking down, feeling upset.

River inhaled and gently touched my hair. "Because they had to go, it was their time,"

I sighed and hesitantly looked up, but didn't meet his eyes. "H-how come no one talks about them? Were they... nice?"

River nodded. "Yes, they were incredibly nice, your mother was always smiling, even when things went down hill in their lives."

I nibbled on my bottom lip. "W-why is everyone so secretive-"

"That's all I'll say on that matter," River said firmly. I sighed and placed my hands into my lap.

"O-okay... but, why are the police here?" I looked up at River, who seemed to be debating on what to tell me. "If you're all getting involved... shouldn't I be aware? I'm not a little kid anymore,"

River looked at me steadily, and I met his eyes. "I know that, Raven, and I'll tell you. Human trafficking,"

I faltered. "Human... trafficking?" I repeated and shook my head. "Here? In our small town?"

River sighed. "Yes, that's not even the bad part, they think, no, they know it's being run by supernatural. Rumor is, they're selling vampires, humans, and other supernatural. The ironic part, the police have an inside source that found out it's being run by vampires."

I frowned. "So what? They want you guys involved?"

River rubbed a hand through his hair. "I don't know what they want,"

I tilted my head to the side. "Nicholas is with the police, isn't he?"

River nodded and sent me a tired smile. "Yes, you're smart," my cheeks warmed at the praise.

"So, are you interested in helping?" I asked tentatively, and River's eyes darkened.

"I'm going to get involved, it's personal." River told me and stood.

"Personal? Why?" River walked over, and kissed the top of my head.

"Don't worry about it," he met my eyes. "Is there a reason you were asking about your parents?" I licked my lips.

"Kayla said something,"

River frowned. "That's odd, I know for a fact she didn't meet them, oh well, get some sleep, okay?" He walked over to the door, and flicked off the light, leaving me in the dark. I twisted my hands together, falling back into the bed.

Why do I feel like this has something to do with me? I placed my arm over my eyes. Human trafficking, that's crazy.

I tossed and turned before rising out of bed, looking out the window, smiling softly at the snow falling. I opened the window, and climbed out, sitting on the windowsill, feet dangling.

I placed my elbow on my thigh, and held my chin up with my hand, looking off into the distance. I leaned my head back and couldn't shake off that odd feeling.