CHAPTER 99. Best Way To Ace A Test

"Your beauty is like poison," Clair whispered, and green eyes slowly went wide.

"Hey," Faith pulled Clair away from me roughly. "If you have something to say; say it, stop dancing around, Raven doesn't like to be touched like that,"

I rubbed a thumb over the place Clair touched me, the skin feeling abnormally cold, like the sting of death. Clair looked down at Faith. "Stay out of my business human, or you'll get hurt,"

My eyes flashed and I looked up swiftly. "Stop it Clair!"

The bell rang loudly in the school, the three of us alone behind a patch of trees and empty pathways for the students.

I grabbed Faith's hand, heart beating loudly in my chest. "Come on, we don't want to be late," I didn't even make it two steps before Clair called after me.

"Raven Light we need to talk," she said harshly, sounding angrier than what I'd heard from her before. I dared a glance at her from over my shoulder.

"Seems to me like you've said enough," I quipped, and rage filled her eyes.

"I said we need to talk," Clair said firmer, colder, her arms crossing. I turned my head dismissively and started walking away.

"If you knew me at all, you'd know I don't take kindly to people telling me what to do," I held Faith's hand tighter, my steps quickening as I felt Clair's intense gaze as I moved towards the school.

"Are you okay?" Faith asked gently as we walked in through a side door, the air conditioning sending a shiver through me as we stood in an empty hallway.

"I... I'm fine, I don't know why I'm so shaken up," I mumbled and the breath was knocked out of me as Faith pulled me into a side hug.

"It'll be okay, she turned out to be a bitch, but I'm sure you'll find someone else to be friends with," Faith reasoned and kissed my forehead, making me pause and blush, meeting her eyes.

"Thank you Faith, seriously," I told her and closed my eyes, happily accepting the kiss she bent down to give me.

"Excuse me, class?" A teacher prompted, walking by us without a second glance. I grinned up at Faith.

"I'll see you after school?" I asked and Faith nodded, stroking my cheek.

"Of course, we still have to give you that surprise," Faith winked and my breath caught.

"I can't believe I forgot!" Excitement thrummed through me. "I'll see you really soon!" I turned and waved, dashing down the hall to get to my class in time. I burst through the door and the teacher raised his eyebrow.

"Late, just on time for you Miss Light, do take a seat, I have your test on your desk," he said, lifting up his nose slightly, his glasses nearly dropping off his face.

I sagged and walked over, sitting down and staring at the words that never seemed so foreign.

"It's multi choice, how hard can it be?"

I jumped at the voice in my head before picking up my pencil and shrugging. I dunno, when you're as stupid as me nothing helps,

"The first one is B, do you not know how your own world works?"

I nibbled on my lip and circled the letter slowly. Say Mr. Lucifer, how old are you?

"Six thousand or so- the next one is C, and then B again, god, don't circle A you idiotic creature,"

I giggled and ignored the odd looks I got from the students. Thanks, say, how come your trapped in the ring anyways?

The demon hummed in my mind, and it was so strange, I couldn't help but wonder if this was what it was like for Aaron. "I tried taking over this world but..." There was a long pause, "I was fooled by an angel, who met the same fate as I, I believe you hold their soul in an ancient relic. I feel their annoying presence in your... 'bedroom' as you call it."

Not all of us are fancy and say chamber - so, what's the answers to number eight and nine?

He sighed in my mind and I watched with wide eyes as my hand moved against my will and circled the letters all through the test. How are you doing that?!

"Hmm? Oh, simple really, I could easily crush your mind child, you have no guard against me, it's almost as if you want me to kill you and take your soul."

My cheeks heated. No! Just stay in your corner of my head until you leave or something. I won't hurt you and you don't hurt me. Speaking of which, how can you get back to your original state? And if you do, will you try to take over the world again? Because I wouldn't like that very much,

The demon snorted. "Well since you wouldn't like it, I won't do it."

Thanks, so the rest of my questions? It was weird as fuck, having a conversation through thoughts, but it was working so far.

"I'm not entirely sure quite yet on how to get to my true form, I'm working on it. We may have to do some research,"

I scoffed. Sure, sure, you're not sketchy at all,

"Don't test me hybrid, I could do whatever I wanted to your soul or body,"

Kinky, very kinky Mr. Demon,

"Raven Light, hand up your paper," the teacher looked down at me. "You've been staring into space this whole time, how do you expect to graduate-" he faltered and stared at the test. "Holy cow gizzards, you got them all right!"

"I know, by Mr. Todd," I stood and stretched my arms over my head. So, you eat human flesh? Or do you eat special demon food?

"Do not speak to me as if I am a dog,"

Another giggle bubbled from my throat as I skipped down the hall. Aww, did I hurt the big bad demon's feelings - "Eek!" I shrieked as I tripped over nothing, falling on my face.

The demon was silent, but I knew he did that on purpose. I scowled and brushed off my shirt, happy I didn't get extremely unlucky and break my nose or something.

I ducked under a students waving arm and slid near the wall, pausing as an unused classroom door opened, an arm reaching out and pulling me inside.

I cried out as my back hit the door, slamming it shut behind me, an elbow touching my throat. "I said, we need to talk," Clair murmured, eyes flashing.

My breath caught and I stared at her in shock.
"S-seriously? What do you want from me?" I questioned with wide eyes and Clair looked at me with a nearly blank face, eyebrow raised as she ran her eyes over me.

"You know? I'm not sure, but it must be something, because I can't get you out of my head," Clair spat and I winced as her elbow pushed further into my throat.

"Clair-"

"What is it about you that makes people want you? Why the hell are you even with them?" She sounded so angry, but, was she mad at me? I was so confused! What did I do?!

"They love me, and I love them, that's it," I told her and glanced to the side. "Please get off of me,"

Clair made a sound in her throat. "Your love, perhaps I could understand if not for its constant turning of a blind eyes, and their love is like a rotten-"

"Stop Clair," I told her firmly, meeting her gaze. "I'm perfectly content with my life, I don't care if it bothers you,"

Clair tore away from me sharply, elbow leaving my throat. "You're a fool, Raven," she pressed her lips together, turning her back to me before turning and slamming her hand beside my head, making me jump.

"Just tell me why you're -" I stopped cold in my words, feeling something touch my lips.

Lips.

On my lips.

Clair was kissing me.

I would have made it longer, but I only started because someone was talking about my cliff hangers, and then I got distracted because I was flirting with them, and, and, and,

You understand, I need sleep,

And... oh my god they're going to see this.

Hi!! *screams*