CHAPTER 47. Fake Alpha

PART TWO

Despite the 'talk' River and I had shared, with him asleep in my bed, I snuck down the stairs. My feet made nearly no sound as I moved towards the window in the living room.

I held my breath and slowly unlocked the window, turning my head to look behind me as I did so. No one, so far so good.

I winced as I pulled the window up, a soft squeaking sound filling the room. I fully expected a vampire to speed down the stairs, but it seemed I got lucky.

My finger held the top of the window as I slipped out into the cold evening air, shutting the window behind me.

There was something about sneaking out, disobeying rules, that sent a rush through me. As the wind blew through my hair, not a soul in sight, I never felt so free.

I shook my head briefly and set down the driveway, a small skip in my step. I couldn't wait to see Faith again, the thought of her smile made my heart skip a beat.

Before long, I rang the doorbell, and prayed these weren't the type of people to be in bed by midnight.

"Hello- oh, Raven Light," Faith's mom smiled at me and opened the door wider. "Come in, we were just talking about you dear, all good things,"

I smiled my thanks and brushed snow off my shoulder, moving into the warm house. I glanced around the kitchen before freezing, seeing Faith in the dining room.

She froze as well, her lips parting, then suddenly she rushed forward and wrapped her arms around me tightly.

I buried my face into her chest and fought down the urge to bawl like a baby. "I missed you," I whispered as she pulled back.

Faith laughed, her voice cracking as tears filled her eyes. "I missed you too, Raven," she paused. "Oh! Shade is here, in the living room, come on," Faith grabbed my hand and I allowed her to tug me through the house.

Shade sat on the table beside the couch, knee to his chest, eyes lighting at my appearance. "Raven! I was worried about you, how are you feeling?"

I shyly tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled. "Better, how about you, with my brother?"

Shade's cheeks flooded with color. "I'm shocked I lived through it, honestly, I haven't told him get but..." Shade smiled and touched his chest. "We're mates,"

Faith gasped and sat down on the couch- pulling me into her lap. I felt my cheeks heat, but leaned back a little, for once happy I was so small, so that even my girlfriend could hold me comfortably. "That's awesome! You should tell him,"

Shade scratched his cheek with a single finger. "It's... complicated,"

I frowned, debating whether to ask about the werewolves or not, part of me not wanting to ruin the reunion. Faith grabbed my hand and traced patterns on my skin.

"Wanna go out to eat?" Faith offered suddenly, and I frowned.

"Thought you were grounded?" I questioned, and Faith squeezed my hand.

"Not anymore, it ended today, so, wanna?" Faith asked, a begging aspect to her tone. I glanced at Shade, who jutted out his lower lip and widened his eyes.