CHAPTER 37. She's mine

My body felt heavy and hot one moment, and the next ice cold, like an intense fever. My chest heaved as I struggled to breathe, a wet cloth pressed to my forehead, and my eyes slowly opened.

Kayla.

I gazed at her with dull green eyes. "Fucking... b-bitch," I wheezed before coughing painfully.

Her eyes went wide, and a relieved smile came to her lips. "Raven! Thank goodness!"

My eyes closed briefly before I found the strength to force them open. "I- f-fucking knew it," I choked and felt my body struggle as another cough left my dry lips.

It felt as though I was being turned inside out. Kayla fretted over the cloth on my forehead, ignoring my struggled words. "Shh, your body will get used to it,"

I let my head loll to the side so I could see around the room. I was laying in a canopy bed, the rest of the room was empty other than the door on the far right.

"I-it?" I asked, forcing myself to look at the witch again. Kayla swallowed and placed her hands in her lap as she sat beside my bed.

"The dark magic..." Kayla said slowly and her smile seemed more forced now. "I've gotten used to it- and I know your body will cope." Worry filled her eyes, and I suddenly wasn't liking my chances.

"Malcolm is a necromancer," Kayla said softly and glanced at the door before meeting my eyes.

I closed my eyes and took in a shuddering breath. Necromancer... Are the black shadows that surround him souls he's taken? I wondered and the room was silent for a long time other than my shallow struggled breathing.

I could feel that person cloaked in shadows, coming closer. Even if Kayla couldn't see, and I doubt she could, the room got darker and more evil despite her innocent fretting over me.

The door opened- and Kayla jumped to her feet, looking at the man with adoring eyes. I recalled now, every time she wanted to 'take' me home with her.

How she didn't want River, and was in love with someone else. Fucking bitch,

I didn't look at the man, didn't dare to, fear swallowing me whole. "Leave us," the necromancer , Malcolm ordered Kayla, and she obeyed, the door closing loudly behind her. 

I gasped for air, shadows and dark clouds starting to circle me as he stepped closer to me. I met those black eyes as he looked down at me and I was unable to do anything as he grabbed my wrist in his icy hand.

He placed it on his heart and I gasped, lurching forward as I felt magic surge up in me all at once, my green eyes glowing brightly.

As he held my hand over his heart I stiffened frozen with fear as his fingers quivered as they hovered over my own. "Dragon hearts, are very powerful, and I should not be so tempted to take yours,"

I somehow managed to tear my arm from his grip, closer to my normal self after that odd surge of power. "Why am I here?" My eyes drifted to the shadows or perhaps even ghosts circling me desperately.

"Because I killed the others, you belong to me," the necromancer said slowly making me gaze at him, inching backwards on the bed.

"You... killed my family," I swallowed and gazed at his chest. "And you took their hearts?" I guessed, feeling a shiver run through me.

"Yes, and with each one, I became more powerful but," he suddenly moved forward, towards me, hand outstretched, and I jumped back, unable to hold back a scream of terror. "I do not wish to spend my eternal existence alone,"

I gazed at him with wide glowing eyes, body shaking as I gripped the blankets beneath me tightly. "They follow you, the ghosts of the hearts you forced into yourself," I whispered in a shaken ashen voice.

"Yes," he whispered back. "And they led me to you, once you finally awoken,"

I slowly met his eyes and felt the air die in my lungs. Monster, I didn't dare speak as he stared at me, afraid my tongue would betray me, and I would anger him.

He reached out, fingers shaken and I froze as they hovered beside my face. "Those filthy half dead creatures," he whispered in fury, no doubt talking about my vampires.

Malcolm suddenly slid into the bed and looked at me with wild eyes as I fell back in my scurry to get away from him, now laying flat and looking at him with bright terrified eyes. "Did you know I caused the massacre fifty years ago?" He shuddered and stroked my cheek, somehow believing he could brag and make me proud.

"I despise those creatures, vampires, half dead, if I could take their souls, their power would be useful. No, no, no, no," he shook his head like a crazed man. And crazed he was, hysterical in his pleasure of having me before him.

"In life, they cannot be controlled, they have no soul, and in death, there is nothing to take, I had to destroy what could destroy me, and so I did," he cooed at me. "Aren't I brilliant? And even now, hardly any live on this earth, and soon enough I believe fae will take those left. But you and I," he smiled and shivered. "We can live all of eternity,"

I felt like I would faint, and I wasn't sure if the ghosts, four in all, were trying to console or help me, or if they wanted to destroy me.

One moment they hovered over my face, the next they flew about in odd flurry of movement. When the necromancer touched my bottom lip, I had enough, and I threw myself off the bed.

I cried out, body feeling weak and easily bruised as I sat up and stood, hand pressed against the wall to hold myself up. "You killed her, didn't you, you killed Missy,"

The necromancer pressed his face into the warm space of the bed I had been laying in and let out something near a moan before looking at me. "Your efforts are so admirable, I like what I've seen in you so far, your defiance and power make me desire you like nothing else in this world,"

"Did you kill her?" I cried and found myself looking at him desperately, tears filling my eyes. "Answer me you bastard, you murdered my family, and Missy too, admit it!"

"Yes, I did, she didn't even fight back, old creature, I gave her peace,"

I felt ill, world spinning before my eyes. "Fuck you...!" I squeezed my eyes closed painfully, trapping the tears that wanted to fall. My hand gave out and necromancer watched with interest as I fell to my knees.

"That blond human,"

My eyes went wide as I looked at the dirty stained concrete. "You're fond of her? She was covered in your magic," he spoke slowly, sounding lazy.

"Faith," I spat and glared at him, feeling my own magic swell in me, this time without him forcing it. "You better not have touched her,"

He gazed at me curiously. "Why care for her? She will die, she's human, they die so quickly,"

"It doesn't matter why, I do, she's mine," I hissed through clenched teeth, body aching. I had never been possessive in my entire life, but under stress and threat of her potential death, I couldn't stop those words from leaving my lips.

The necromancer climbed off the bed and looked at me with heated eyes. "Indeed she is, then next time we meet, you may have the small pathetic pet,"

He vanished and I bent over, coughing up blood, mind spinning as my world also spun around me.

I'll kill him myself,