CHAPTER 86. Swords And Strange Markings

I ran my fingers on the edge of the blade cautiously, and Lion opened his eyes, looking at the weapon in my hands. "You're going to cut your fingers off," he warned.

I shook my head. "I'm not that stupid," it was a very pretty sword, and despite the differences between Clair and I, it fit well in my small hands.

It was incredibly beautiful and elegant, a true weapon for a female such as Clair. "I think you are, or if not stupid, you're clumsy as fuck," Lion told me and sat up, reaching to take the short sword from me.

I swatted his hand and scooted backwards, holding Clair's sword protectivly. Lion looked at his hand, seeming startled.

"Did you just smack me?" Lion asked and raised an eyebrow, the glint in his eyes making me swallow.

"W-well, then don't try to take things from me! Clair said to hold onto it, so I'm going to." I said stubbornly.

Lion stood and looked down at me. "And I said you're going to hurt yourself - besides, since when do you listen to people? Especially people like
Clair?"

"People like Clair?" A voice called and I turned my head, seeing Clair walk down the steps, arms crossing. "What's that supposed to mean vampire?"

Lion regarded her. "Don't take it personally, necromancer, I just don't like many people."

Clair raised her hands in a shrug, crushing a stick under her boot as she walked towards where I sat in the grass, hips swaying. "Good thing I don't give a damn, thank you love," she extended her hand. "I'll take that back,"

"Why do you call me that?" I asked, brows furrowed. Clair made it clear she didn't believe in love- and that she doesn't like me. But then she's called me 'love' from the moment she saw me.

"Don't worry your little head about, you probably don't have brain cells to spare," Clair told me and nodded at the sword. I placed it in her hand, and she picked up the sheath. "I'll be seeing you Raven, unless someone as foolish as you hires me and I get trapped somewhere."

My lips parted as hurt twisted inside me at her words, and I felt myself flinch. "Bye then..." My shoulders sagged a little on their own, her words striking me more than they should have.

Clair paused and attached the sheath to her belt. "That was harsh," she said breazily and paused. "Come here, I have something for you, I saw it on one of my jobs, and thought you'd like it."

Lion narrowed his eyes. "Raven, you don't have to accept anything she offers you,"

I stood and brushed down my bare legs. "It's okay, I'm curious,"

Clair looked amused. "Something tells me that's what starts off most of your trouble, follow me, it's in my car,"

I followed the necromancer and paused when she offered me a sword hilt first. I drew the weapon and stared at it with wide eyes.

It was a plain silver sword, but it had an aura, like a human would. "Woah," I breathed.

"Hell naw," Lion snapped from a distance, but Clair and I ignored him.

"Where did you find it?" I asked in wonder, utterly delighted. Clair leaned on her vehicle and I didn't notice her searching pleased eyes running over me as I focused on the sword.

"I was taking out a group of humans dabbling in the dark arts, trying to summon demons," Clair nodded at the blade as I glanced at her. "It was hanging on the wall- tell me hybrid, what do you see?"

I stared at the sword, lips parting before I shook my head to clear it. "I don't think I should take it-" I extended my hands, but Clair shook her head.