Chapter 1: The Unwanted Princess

"Mommy, look, I drew a picture."

"It's nothing special, Aria."

-

"Mommy, look, I learned to dance."

"That's nice."

-

"Mommy, I got th-"

"I'm busy Aria, go away."

-

"Mom I-"

"I'm busy."

-

"Mom-"

"Aria, enough, stop bothering me."

-

"Mother -"

"Aria, how many times do I have to tell you! Go away!"

-

I never once could make my mother happy. It came to a point where she didn't even want to look at me. It was because I reminded her of my father, a man she came to dispise. My mother is Empress Layla, ruler of Ninjago. I was the unwanted princess, the daughter of the Overlord.

When I was younger, my mother often got rid of me by sending me to my sensei's house. Sensei Garmadon taught me about my father and how one day I might become just like him. At first, it didn't feel any different from home. I would listen to Sensei Garmadon about my father's history and his power, and then I would sit in my room, reading.

Thankfully, their was a light in my darkness. Sensei's son, Lloyd, he attended normal school, so I didn't see him much when I first got there. After his break started, we were properly introduced, and the more we got to know each other, the happier I became. He came to be my best friend.

My happiness didn't last, though. On our 8th birthday, Sensei Garmadon suddenly disappeared, and Lloyd was sent to boarding school. I had no choice but to remain in the palace after that. My mother seemed to hate me more each time she saw me. Thanks to Sensei's beginning training, I was able to learn how to shape-shift, only a little, though.

I had decided to change my hair color, I hoped it would help my mother see me as her child, and not just his. It, however, didn't seem to change her. She grew more and more tired of seeing me each day. I had given up on trying to speak to her when we ran into each other in the hallway.

Soon enough, on my 10th birthday, my mother sent me away again. Only this time, she didn't plan for me to return. She sent me to live with Sensei's brother, Wu, who would be my new teacher. By figuring out I could shape-shift, she realized my powers were developing, that I was turning into him.

My mother was abandoning me, and their was nothing I could do about it. I lost hope that their was any good left in the world. What I hadn't realized yet was sending me away was the best thing that would ever happen to me.

"Aria, this will be your team. Cole, Jay, Zane, and Kai."