Chapter 69: Dead Man's Squall

"So we know the ninja were last seen in Hollow's Bluff," Aria begins

Kaname, Hanabusa, Zero, Reika, and Aria were all sitting together at a table going over what information they had.

"And knowing them they're looking into the sons of Garmadon as well as us," Reika adds

"The ninja are also unaware that the princess is alive," Kaname says "they won't be expecting our back up either."

"Meaning they won't be able to give us away," Hanabusa agrees

"We know that the leader of the Sons of Garmadon is known as the quiet one," Aria says "which is obviously Harumi."

"The ninja are in danger as long as they are around Harumi," Reika turns to Aria "she'll be reporting their every move. It would honestly be safer for us to not send them a message."

"How would we track them down then?" Zero questions

"By finding the third Oni Mask," Aria says "That would be Harumi's final goal and the ninja will want to prevent that."

"Do we know what this ritual entails?" Kaname asks

"Not at the moment," Aria says "all the palace records were destroyed in the fire. Only mother would know what it is."

"Mother should be in hiding somewhere," Zero tells her "she's most likely still alive."

"Well since she's not here," Reika puts her hand on her hip "we're on our own."

"..Remember when we went to the shadowlands," Aria says "to look for my father's weapon."

"The weapon you don't even use?" Reika questions "Yeah, I remember, what about it?"

"If my memory serves me right, we found it in the Lake of Tears," Aria says "an important landmark of the battle between father and the First Spinjitsu Master.. so is it possible that the Oni mask is a relic of father's used in the battle?"

"It indeed is," Kaname replies "The Oni Masks were each given to a general in the war, the masks were created by the Overlord and can be used to bring back a general of the war if they perished in battle."

"The third mask is the Mask of Hatred," Zero says "It's most likely close to the border of the Shadowlands then."

"Or the very place that is the entrance to the Shadowlands," Aria turns to the group "Primeval's Eye."

-

"Maybe he's thirsty. Give him some milk" Lloyd suggests

Cole sighs "I tried. He doesn't like milk.

"What else do babies drink?" Jay asks

Kai shrugs "Don't ask me. Ask him"

"He's a baby! He hasn't learned how to talk yet" Cole shouts

"Oh! Maybe he needs a diaper change" Jay suggests

"Oh my gosh. Do we even have diapers?" Cole questions

"Why would we have diapers? We're Ninja!" Lloyd says annoyed

"Ooh! Maybe we can use one of our hoods instead" Jay suggests

Kai took a step back "Not my hood"

"We'll draw straws. Loser gives up their hood" Lloyd says

Harumi starts singing and the baby stops crying "The spider's in the house. Sleep sleep. The spider bit the mouse. Sleep deep. Don't wake up or else you'll find a spider in your mouth."

"Wow. You're really good at that" Cole says

Harumi shook her head "Nah. He's just tired. Too much excitement. He'll go to sleep now"

She and Lloyd go out to see a storm.

"My father told me they call this the Dead Man's Squall" Lloyd says

"Do you remember much about your father before he left you as a child? When he was...bad?" Harumi asks

"No, not really. I was too young" Lloyd replies "What about your parents?"

Harumi looks down "Sometimes in my dreams, they're right next to me. It's like they're still here, but then I, I wake up..."

Lloyd placed his hand on top of hers "You're not alone, Rumi"

"Neither are you. I know it must be difficult to think they're trying to bring your father back. I can't imagine what must be going through your head. Whatever happens, I'll be here" Harumi leans in to kiss him but he takes a step back

"What's wrong?" Harumi asks

"Nothing.. just.." Lloyd looks away "Sorry.."

"You're.." Harumi looks away "still in love with my sister."

"I just, don't believe she's gone," Lloyd sighs "and I can't imagine a life without her.. she's been my best friend since forever."

"I understand," Harumi looks out "my sister wasn't apart of my life as much as she was yours. But still, I will miss her."

"I do remember one time when we were younger," Lloyd smiles slightly "my father had just left me and my mother, Aria was there. I was such a crybaby, but she held back her own tears to comfort me.. when I got older I promised that I would be the one to protect her.. and not the other way around.. but I failed."

"You didn't fail," Harumi put her hand on top of his "you protected me, and I think Aria would be proud of you. Even if she couldn't make it out, we didn't all perish."

"Yeah," Lloyd looks down sadly

-

Reika and Aria traveled in the dark of the night to Primeval's Eye, where they planned to take the Oni Mask before the ninja got to it, with Harumi.

"You know, I bet that stuck up pompous princess," Reika ranted "Is sucking up to our brothers right now." she shivers "just the thought of it disgusts me."

"Me too," Aria agrees "I bet she's making moves on Lloyd too."

"Huh, who?" Reika questions as Aria gives her a look "Oh tater tot, right, you know.. it's ok."

"Really Reika?" Aria asks looking annoyed

"I mean yeah, who needs him," Reika smiles "You should just forget about him, you're married to me anyway."

"Reika," Aria sighs before laughing "unfortunately our hypothetical marriage isn't recognized by the law."

"Damn," Reika curses before laughing as well "you think green boy's falling for it?"

"I don't know," Aria replies "Harumi's good at playing the pity card."

"Well I don't," Reika puts her hand on Aria's shoulder "you've been through a lot together, and as much as I hate to admit it, he's not one to give up so easily."

Aria smiles "thanks wifey."

"Let's find that mask," Reika says as she heads into Primeval's Eye

Aria sighs looking up into the sky "I hope they don't get caught in Dead Man's Squall."