Chapter 15: The Empress

Zane stood behind Aria, styling her hair for her. Wu was taking Aria to the palace with him, to see her mother. After the events of the great Devourer, Wu has no choice but to report to her and discuss the city's rebuild.

"There," Zane takes a step back "All done.

"Looks good." Kai comments from behind him

The two ninja were there to make sure she was ok, since Jay and Cole were already starting to fix the city. Aria turns to look at herself in the mirror.

 Aria turns to look at herself in the mirror

"..I suppose." Aria started "I use to always look like this."

Zane and Kai looked at each other with a worried expression.

"What do you mean?" Zane asks

"I've gotten so use to being a ninja, in these short years," Aria answers "not a princess."

Wu enters the room "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," Aria sighs

"We'll see you later, ok?" Kai smiles

"Mhm," Aria nods

Aria walks to Wu as he holds his hand out to her, she takes his hand and they head to the palace together.

"Why do I have to go?" Aria asks as they approach the doors

"To remind her, you're still here," Wu responds "no matter how much she might want you to go away."

"What good would that do?" Aria questions sadly

"Aria, it's not for her." Wu stops and looks down at her "It's for you, for now you may be scared, but I promise there will come a day where you won't be. Until then, you must continue to show her your still here."

"..ok" Aria agrees, still confused.

Wu and Aria pass through the halls of the palace, Aria stares down at her feet as they walk. She could feel the stares of the guards and many servants. They all knew who she was, the princess who isn't wanted.

The doors to the audience room open, there sat Empress Layla, staring down at them.

"Empress." Wu greets bowing as Aria bows beside him

"I was under the impression it was just you visiting." Layla spoke, staring at the young girl beside him.

"I figured you would want to see your daughter your majesty." Wu replies with a hint of spite in his tone "It has been a few years since she's visited."

"Your posture is wrong," Layla addresses her daughter "your hair is a mess, your dress is wrinkled, and you still haven't looked up at me. Is that any way to look in front of your Empress?"

"No ma'am." Aria replies as she stands up straight, avoiding her mother's eyes.

"Go away," Layla waves her off "if you dare to step in front of me, then at least look like your my daughter. Not some commoner, act like a princess."

"Yes ma'am." Aria responds before turning and walking out the doors

"You haven't seen her in years and all you can do is criticize her." Wu states looking annoyed

"So what?" Layla crosses her arms "She's his daughter."

"She's your daughter as much as she is his, it takes two Layla." Wu responds

"You're trying so hard to turn her into something she's not." Layla tells him "The moment she realizes who she is, she'll turn her back on you."

"She won't." Wu states "I have faith in her."

"Your faith, is in vein old man." Layla says "She will destroy this city."

Outside the doors, Aria stood waiting for Wu to finish when Hanabusa, her old personal guard, walks by with a young girl.

"Hanabusa!" Aria calls out

Hanabusa turns around and smiles when he sees her "Princess Aria!"

Hanabusa runs over to Aria and gives her a big hug.

"I've missed you so much." Aria says as she squeezes him

"Me too" Hanabusa agrees "How's being a ninja?"

"It's great," Aria replies happily "I've got.." she looks down before looking back at him "lots of good brothers."

Hanabusa looks briefly surprised before smiling and petting her head "That's great."

"Hanabusa.." Aria looks behind him at the girl who was waiting for him "who.. is that?"

Hanabusa slowly looked back at the girl before turning to her "..that's.. princess Harumi.. your new sister.."

"What?" Aria looks taken back, her smile fades.

"The Emperor and Empress decided to take her in, after her parents died in the devourer attack." Hanabusa responds before turning to Harumi and waving her over

Harumi walks over and smiles.

"Harumi this is Aria, your little sister." Hanabusa introduces

"Hello," Harumi greets happily

"..what?" Aria looks at Hanabusa

"I know it's upset-"

"No!" Aria shouts

"Princess," Hanabusa tries to calm her down "under-"

"No! Shut up!" Aria's eyes glowed purple

The guards around took an offensive stance as the servants around ran in fear, Harumi hid behind Hanabusa.

"Wu!" Hanabusa shouts

The doors quickly opened and Wu rushed out.

"What's going on?" Wu asks as he places a hand on Aria's shoulder

Aria's eyes turned back to green as she looked up at him.

"Put those weapons down," Wu looks disapprovingly at the guards "do you have no shame? She's a 10 year old girl, and your princess."

The guards all looked around at each other before slowly lowering their weapons.

"Let's go Aria." Wu takes her hand and pulls her past the guards with him

Aria glances at Harumi before spitefully saying "You will never be my sister."

-

Aria sat in her room crying as Lloyd rubbed her head.

"I can't believe they got a new daughter." Aria cries

"I know." Lloyd comforts his best friend "It's ok."