Chapter 37: Only One Can Remain

Chen's Ferry arrives at an island.

"Welcome to Chen's Island. The Tournament of Elements welcome its brave fighters. Master Chen will be pleased you've returned, Sensei Garmadon" Clouse says as everyone unloaded the boat

Garmadon narrows his eyes "The pleasure is all mine, Clouse"

"I'm sure it is" Clouse replies

"Alright move it Sensei" Aria says pushing Garmadon along

"Definitely feeling some tension between you two" Jay comments

"Yeah, and how is it we're on an island I've never seen on any map?" Kai questions

"And care to explain how the face to Ninjago's most popular noodle house is secretly assembling an underground fighting tournament?" Cole adds

"Master Chen used to be a friend. Now he's a traitor. During the Serpentine Wars, Chen turned against his own kind and sided with the treacherous snakes" Garmadon simply answers

"The battle you and Uncle Wu fought together in? He was an enemy?" Lloyd asks

"He used deception to divide the Elemental Masters. We barely defeated the Serpentine, and in a deal for his surrender, Chen was to never leave this island. Little did we know, he'd begin to build his criminal empire from here" Garmadon explains

"He may have divided our ancestors, but he's not gonna divide us" Lloyd says firmly

"Yes," Aria grabs onto him before he ran into someone "and for now how about you keep yourself together"

"Your highness, please follow me." Clouse calls out to her

Aria walks toward him and Lloyd grabs her hand looking worried.

"I'll be fine" Aria told him pulling his hand off hers "just trust me"

Lloyd nods "I do"

The Elemental Masters arrive inside the palace and sat in a circle. Clouse led Aria up to a seat next to a throne. Zugu bangs a gong and a gramophone plays music.

"All rise for Master Chen" Clouse commands and everyone stood

Chen walks in with several of his servants "Welcome to the Tournament of Elements. Now everyone can all di-" the door sudden closes loudly and everyone gasps "-rect your attention to me!" Chen laughs

Chen takes his place beside Aria and looks around looking amused.

Chen chuckles "Never before have so many Elemental Fighters been under one roof. I see Master of Fire, Earth, Shadow, Speed, even a prophesied Green Savior. And a former pupil has returned"

"Alright" Chen points to the gong "This symbol before you is for the Anacondrai, fiercest Serpentine warrior to ever roam this land. Its creed: "Only one can remain."

The gong moves aside, showing a bracket.

Chen takes out a green blade "Behold, a Jadeblade. Here, it represents life. Obtain it, move on. Allow your opponent to take it, loser. The rules are simple. Every match will be different. No two fights will be the same. Your powers will keep you in the Tournament. Use it or lose it"

"Win and stay on the island. Win it all, and you'll receive fortunes beyond your wildest dreams, and lifetime supply of Master Chen noodles. But no one is here because of noodle. You want the glory of being the greatest fighter in all of Ninjago!" Chen shouts, everyone but the Ninja cheer.

"And what happens if they lose?" Garmadon questions suspiciously

"Lose? Who here likes to lose?" Chen replies, everyone but the Ninja laugh

"Now please, enjoy my island. It's a super fun happy place. Hahaha. Fun time on me" Chen laughs happily

"You'll now each be shown to your rooms" Clouse announces

Kabuki walk up to each one of the Masters. The Kabuki grab the Ninja's arms and they are escorted to their suites. Lloyd watches as Clouse personally escorts Aria to her room.

"I don't like this," Lloyd says to his father "why do you think they're watching Aria closely?"

"When it comes to elemental power, Aria has limitless potential." Garmadon tells him "Think of it this way son, you have all unlocked your true potential to a point, but she hasn't scratched the surface. It's why her mother has her on a close watch as well as her brother."

"You mean Prince Zero?" Lloyd questions "Does he have elemental powers too?"

"No, you will learn in time, that those siblings are special." Garmadon says "As well as yourself. You and Aria both, still have much more to unlock."

"Hm," Lloyd looks confused

-

Aria sat in her room as music began to play.

"Fellow fighters, hidden around my island are enough Jadeblades for every participant except for one. The one who returns to the palace arena empty-handed loses. The tournament begins...now! May the best fighter win"

Aria turned to leave when something caught her eye, something green. She looked under the bed and pulled out the jadeblade.

"Heh," Aria laughs "they aren't even trying to hide it.. alright.. I'll play along."

Aria arrives in the completion room and puts her jadeblade in it's holder. Reika and Garmadon were already in the room.

"Woo you're the best wifey!" Reika cheers

"First one to arrive," Chen chuckles "As expected from the dark lord."

"Yeah yeah," Aria says as she leans against the wall beside Reika

The trio watched as each of the contestants come in one by one with a jade blade, completing the first event. Soon all of the ninja except for Kai had made it.

Karlof walks in with the Jadeblade "Hahaha! Karlof wins!"

Everyone except the Ninja cheer. Kai sneaks up behind him and unscrews his Metal hand

"Ah, looks like you got a screw loose" Kai steals the Jadeblade and puts it in the holder.

Everyone except Garmadon cheers.

"We have a loser!" Chen shouts

Karlof puts his hand back "That's not fair. He cheated"

"I did what I had to do" Kai shrugged

"Fine, I lose. Karlof never wanted to be on stinking island" Karlof complains

"I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. I guess this worked out for the best. This is goodbye!" Chen pushes a button, activating a trapdoor under Karlof. He screams as he falls. "As you can see, lose and you are out. Break any rule, you are out. Never bite the hand that feeds you Master Chen delicious noodle! Now rest up. Tomorrow the tournament will recommence"

"Wait what happened to him?" Aria asks

"I simply sent him underground." Chen replies innocently "There are people waiting to escort him off the island."

"Mhm," Aria replies suspiciously "I see."