Chapter 16: The Third Smith

"Why are we going to your blacksmith again?" Aria asks with a yawn

"To check on my sister," Kai replies "My other sister."

"Our sister Reika," Nya clarifies "She's older than me but younger than Kai."

Aria, Kai, and Nya were currently on a train heading to Ignacia.

"Sorry to have gotten you up so early kiddo." Kai pats her head "The others are busy finding us a place to live and repairing the city, so you're stuck with us."

Aria rubs her eyes as she nods.

"Why don't you take a nap," Nya suggests "It'll take a bit to get there."

Aria leaned against Kai's arm and closed her eyes, slowly drifting off to sleep.

"I think we have a younger sister now," Nya tells Kai with a smile

"Always had sis," Kai replies smiling down at Aria

"I'm glad we're slowly being able to bring Aria out of her shell." Nya says "Remember how she was when we first met her."

"Yeah, she was so reserved." Kai agrees "She never joked around, she would always listen to Sensei down to the last detail like a puppet."

"I don't fully understand her relationship with her mother," Nya looks over at Aria "but I gather it's not a good one."

"No," Kai put one arm around Aria "She seemed so off the other day when she went to the castle with Sensei Wu." He rubs Aria's head "I just hope she knows her brother's got her back, no matter what."

"We all will." Nya agrees

-

The trio gets off the train at Ignacia, it was about mid-day now. Kai carried Aria in his arms through the village, heading to the blacksmith on the hill. Once they reached the top, they noticed the smoke coming from the smithy.

"Reika!" Nya calls out

A girl comes out of the smithy, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Kai? Nya?" The girl, Reika, looks surprised at the two "You're alive!"

The siblings run toward each other, Nya and Reika hugged while Kai readjusted Aria who was still in his arms.

"Why did you two disappear for a year?" Reika asks "You didn't even send me letters."

"We got really busy, I'm sorry," Kai replies

Reika sighs before looking at him, her eyes settled on the little girl in his arms staring back at her.

"Um," Reika pointed to Aria "who the fuck is that?"

"..." Aria looked at Kai before looking at Reika "the fuck are you?"

"Aria!" Kai and Nya quickly looked at her

"You've been in her proximity for 3 minutes and look what you're teaching her!" Kai lectures Reika

"This isn't my fault!" Reika argues

"Reika," Nya intervenes "this is Aria, our sister."

"Your.. sister?" Reika looked hurt

"Well, like, she's a ninja." Kai explains "So you know, she's a sister, like the guys are my brothers."

"I see.." Reika glares at Aria

"Reika," Nya looks at her "she's just a child."

"A child who's replaced me," Reika crosses her arms "You've forgotten all about me, admit it."

"If we forgot about you we wouldn't be here right now," Kai argues

"You're all out playing the hero while I'm stuck here!" Reika shouts "If you cared, you would've been here sooner."

"That's our mistake, we're sorry," Kai says

"Yeah, really sorry." Nya agrees

"We always agreed to be together, and you left without a second thought, the chance you got." Reika shakes her head

"It wasn't like that," Kai disagrees "Nya got captured and I did what I had to, to save her. Now I'm trying to keep everyone in Ninjago safe, including you, don't you get that?"

"Then why didn't you take me with you?!" Reika asks furiously

"You can come," Kai says "I was worried."

"Worried that I would get hurt? When Nya's younger than me?!" Reika questions

"Come with us now then Reika," Kai says "We can all be together."

"I don't need your sympathy now," Reika replies spitefully, as she turns around to head inside

"Reika!" Kai and Nya call out

"Have fun with your new sister!" Reika says before slamming the door shut.

"Reika.." Kai looked sad

Aria looked up at Kai "I'm sorry, did you guys fight because of me?"

"No," Kai rubbed her head "it's ours.."