Chapter 113: Behind the Ivory

As Aria makes her way back to the surface, the wall in front of her rises. She turns back to see the Skull Sorcerer.

"I'm afraid, you aren't allowed to leave your highness." He says

"Says who?" Aria questions "You're not my mother."

"Such a childish thing to say," he mocks

"Hypocritical, coming from an old man," Aria smirks

"Cocky brat!" The Skull Sorcerer shouts as he raises the Skull of Hazza D'ur

"How many years has it been Hazza?" Aria asks as she places her hand on her hip.

"You're supposed to be dead.." the skull of Hazza D'ur says

"I'm afraid fate didn't intend for me to die there," Aria tells him "We use to fight side by side you and I, now look at you, nothing but a shell of your past self. Quite literally too."

"Shut up!" The Skull of Hazza D'ur shouts

"Back in the day you never would've spoken to me like that," Aria shakes her head "Shame."

"Show me some respect you brat!" the skull of Hazza D'ur shouts "I'm your father!"

"Step-father," Aria corrects "don't let it get to your head."

The Skull Sorcerer blasts the wall and the walls around them began to crumble.

"It's a shame we couldn't get along," The Skull Sorcerer laughs "your highness."

Aria backs up as a chunk of rock falls in front of her, she quickly creates a pocket in the ground and jumps into it before closing the hole.

-

The Ninja stood behind Princess Vania who had just finished explaining what happened to her, Aria, and Cole that night.

"I'm very disappointed, Vania. It is forbidden to enter the mountain!" King Vangelis shouts "The rule of law is there for a reason. It is unsafe below. Not only did you endanger yourself, but you have also endangered our guests and the crown princess!."

"Where is my daughter, princess Vania?" Layla asks, turning to her.

"I don't know," Vania looks down, upset.

"I will send three brigades of my ablest guards at once." King Vangelis turns towards the ninja "They will find your friend and the Princess. Have no fear."

We'll go too" Kai says

"I cannot allow that" King Vangelis declines "The dungeons are treacherous. We have lived here for centuries, and even we do not enter them lightly. There are things that dwell below that... should not be disturbed"

"So the creature Cole saw was real?" Nya asks

"You told me I imagined it!" Vania looks upset

"I said what I had to to protect you, child" King Vangelis defends "One day, when you are older, you'll understand. Now, time is of the essence. I must dispatch my men. I ask you all to remain calm and stay here"

"We can't just stay here. Cole is our friend!" Kai argues

"Yeah, we have to help!" Jay agrees

"King Vangelis please," Lloyd tries to reason "We have to look for them."

"It is out of the question. I will not put anyone else in danger. My men will bring them back." King Vangelis insists "Trust in them, I wouldn't allow harm to come to the Princess."

Kai looks annoyed "Yeah-"

"Hold it now," Layla puts her hand up "the crown Princess is in danger and you expect me to simply let you handle it. I understand this is your land, but Aria is the next Empress of Ninjago and you have endangered her." Layla's eyes glow purple "This has become a diplomatic issue, if the princess does not return safely this could mean war."

Wu put his arm out in front of the ninja and pushed them back while Zero walked up and stood next to his mother. The two royals looking angry, King Vangelis's guards immediately gripped their weapons tight.

"Now now, there's no need for that," King Vangelis says looking nervous

"The Empress has powers?" Kai whispers to Wu

"You're forgetting," Wu looks at the ninja "Empress Layla is Aria's mother and an Oni, she may not show it, but she is dangerous."

"My Son Zero will enter the mines and search for them," Layla states "I'm not asking permission King Vangelis, I am telling you."

"Yes, certainly," King Vangelis agrees " Now please, I have much to attend, as do you, Vania"

With that the group turns and walks out.

"That was intense," Kai lets out a breath

"Was that really necessary Layla?" Wu asks turning to the Empress

"There are times for an Empress to sit back, and there are times she needs to take action," Layla tells him "I am not a pushover Wu and I don't intend to do nothing while my daughter is in danger. She is a protector of Ninjago, my rein will not last if she is lost."

Wu sighs "You two didn't need to threaten war."

"You are a man of peace, which i understand," Zero says "but finding my sister is of most importance."

"Yeah, you don't really think we're gonna sit this one out, do you?" Lloyd asks Wu

"I fear Cole has bitten off more then he can chew" Wu looks at Vania "Princess, I don't want to get you into any more trouble, but do you think you could perhaps show us-"

Vania pulls out two torches "the way into the dungeons? You bet. Follow me!"

She hands Wu a torch and runs off.

"Zero come," Layla calls out to him "you will go in after them. I need to give you something first."

Layla began to head to her room as Zero nodded to the ninja before following after her. The ninja and Wu follow Vania. She takes the ninja to the opening in the palace gardens.

"Here it is" Vania sighs "I wish I could go with you. I feel like this is all my fault"

"No, we don't want you to get into any more trouble." Nya insists "We'll handle it from here."

Lloyd looks at her suspiciously "Yeah. You've done enough. Come on, guys"

Wu stays standing next to Vania as the ninja start heading in.

"Master?" Zane looks at him

"Go on without me, Zane. I would only slow you down" Wu says

"Master Wu, that is not so" Zane disagrees

"It is, not matter how I wish it weren't. Now go, quickly, before someone sees you" Wu holds the torch out to him

Zane takes the torch and runs off.