18

The frightened passengers all congregated on the deck. Many of them had heard the ruckus in the middle of the night and crawled up from bed. Their clothes were messy and they didn't even have shoes on their feet. They all squeezed together into an area like shivering little lambs.

Mu Yao's white clothes were floating in the air. A section of her snow white arm was exposed as she raised it high up. A point of light appeared on her fingertips and if one were to look carefully, she was supporting a massive round shaped barrier. Because there were too many people in the barrier, the edges of the barrier were barely visible; To the point that they blended in with the night.

"Hurry! Everyone, stand behind me!

The entire river was full of starry spots of black smoke. The water demons that only moved in darkness, had come out full force this time. They had made a frontal assault grandiosely.

The ship was violently trembling. The sturdy boat had been corroded by the termite-like water demons in the darkness. Under the constant crashing of the water demons, the boat was letting out miserable hoarse groans like it was about to fall apart in the water at any moment.

"What's wrong with the ship...." From the mass of people, a child's crying arised, "Wah wah... is the boat about to sink..."

The mass of people suddenly became restless. A middle-aged man with a ferocious looking face gave the little child a fixed glare: "Little child, don't speak nonsense. You'll bring bad luck!"

"Wah......" The child started crying again and his wails threw the hearts of listeners into disorder and caused a commotion to arise.

"Cry! If you cry anymore, I'll kill you!"

"Mother!"

"Yo-you.. what do you want to do? We're just a widow and a child, don't try anything.." The mother protected the child in her embrace as she continuously stepped backwards.

Some in the group blocked them. Some of them cursed out loudly. Some of them cried out in sorrow. For a moment, everything turned into a mess.

Mu Yao kept turning around to look at them.

Her expression turned heavy as she shouted:
"Be quiet! The boat won't sink..."

"Ah!"

Like it was trying to deny her words, the ship suddenly tilted over. The unprepared people were like a plate of sand, suddenly sliding towards a corner. Screams and wailing suddenly reached an all new high.

"Everyone brace yourselves on the ship!" Mu Yao reinforced the barrier in her hands. The water demons took advantage of the sudden chaos to break in and attack.

The people who were shocked silly by the demons had no time to defend themselves and everything became an utter mess.

"Why did you step on me!?"

"Brother, you're not speaking reason. When did my feet touch you?"

"Shut up! We're all going to die!" A woman's shrill voice penetrated into everyone's ear, carrying with it a heavy resentment.

The mass of people suddenly turned quiet for a moment before curses and quiet crying started to surface.

All of the planks of the ship were creaking. The connecting wooden bonds were pulled out, leaving a wide hole. The bonds had grown loose and under the constant collisions, started to split apart and cracks started to form.

Mu Yao was supporting the wooden boards by herself. She clenched her teeth and her feet left the ground. Floating in the air, her fingers moved rapidly. She threw out a talisman and in an instant, knocked down a large group of water demons; Black water splashed about and pale white bones fell onto the ground.