40

Liuyue Palace.

The square wooden fence in the round window caused countless thin strands of shadow to cover the table. As the light moved, shadows moved along with it. The moving clouds reflected indigo warm sunlight onto the windowsill.

The incense smoke rose gradually and the thick aroma of incense stained the Son of Heaven's gold-lined black gown. The young Son of Heaven lightly leaned back as he scowled at the thick incense smoke.

  Dowager Consort Zhao was supporting her forehead with her palm as she dozed off. She wore her long nail guards and in between her fingers, the deep, long lines of her crow's feet were visible.

"Mother Consort...."

  "Imperial Son." Dowager Consort Zhao didn't open her eyes, still maintaining her exhausted posture. "You lowered yourself and disregarded your high standing and came here to your Mother Consort all for the sake of taking that maid with you?"

The young Son of Heaven was stunned by this sentence of hers and paused for a moment before replying: "Mother Consort, you know that Peiyun was wrongly accused. She has stayed at Zhen's side since a young age, she has always been honest and prudent..."

  Dowager Consort Zhao coldly smiled and raised her eyes. Her eyes were filled with a mocking sneer as she looked deeply at him: "Imperial Son, people will change."

The Emperor was stunned, clearly feeling that his Mother Consort had a sudden change in attitude.

In the past, she coveted fame and money. She acted domineering and bossy but towards this son of hers, she had always maintained an earnest zealousness towards him.

She anticipated him coming and continuously chattered away with him, giving him a big cart full of care he had no need for. Everytime he wanted to leave, her eyes would fill with loss and unwillingness.

Now, this palace woman whom he had oh so firmly held in the palm of his hand looked at him with cold eyes like a stranger would. He felt a sort of frantic unease burgeon within him, at a loss as to what to do.

"Mother Consort, you must've had some misunderstanding about this entire matter."

He let out a sigh, "it was Zhen who wanted Peiyun to watch over the princess: Watch over her three meals a day, when she played and when she studied and each and every little detail about the princess. She didn't leave out a single word when she reported to Zhen. As for that eunuch she was exchanging information with, he was just someone who carried on the message."

He hesitated for a moment before somewhat unwillingly admitting: "Songmin is Zhen's little sister. How could Zhen not care about her? She was never close to Zhen from a young age and Zhen also couldn't throw away Zhen's face to come and find her. This was the only suitable method to take on the responsibility of an older brother."

Dowager Consort Zhao stared at the table without a word, a layer of watery mist appearing on her eyes.

"It was Zhen that sent Peiyun into
Fengyang Palace because Zhen felt that she was proper and careful. Her bearing was steady and had a sense of propriety. If she were to protect and guide the princess, it would definitely be beneficial to Songmin."

".....steady bearing and a sense of
propriety..." Dowager Consort Zhao suddenly turned rigid, as if she had heard something ridiculous. She stared stiffly at the Emperor,

"Did you think that this Mother Consort of yours was dishonorable and vulgar? That there was no way for me to teach my daughter?"

The Son of Heaven was stunned: "Zhen... That's not what Zhen..."