98

Mu Sheng went out in the morning but for some reason, never returned. Even by the time that night fell.

When evening came, Miaomiao followed Liu Fuyi and Mu Yao anxiously, scouring the streets for him. Yet, they didn't even see the corner of his shadow.

"He might've heard our conversation."

Liu Fuyi came to a conclusion. He looked at Miaomiao's face, paused for a moment, then sighed: "It's fine as well, letting him cool off by himself."

Ling Miaomiao sat by the bedside and lit up a candle. She didn't say a word as she waited till midnight. She let out a breath of air, leaving behind the candle on the table as she pulled aside the bed covers to lay down.

Ever since that time they enjoyed the spring of intercourse, he had put away the mat on the ground and started to sleep together with her.

Usually, he would be clingy beyond compare. He would constantly pull her in so deep she'd feel like she was suffocating. Later on, she found a solution to this — To take the initiative and hug him.

As soon as she took the initiative to reach out and hug him, he would immediately stay still like an obedient child. He would let her wrap her arms around him just like she was hugging a human-sized icy-cold statue in bed.

Her human-sized statue was lost today. She laid in bed all by her lonesome. She felt the coldness permeating her skin through the bed boards.

They drilled into her back, covering her entire body and even the bed covers could not block the humid frigidity that seemed to pierce into her.
She rolled around in bed, shivering nonstop.

She stared at the wall with eyes wide open, feeling as if a box of cold air had been suddenly poured into her scalp. Her temples bulged and the coldness made her feel like it was about to break out of her eyes.

Miaomiao touched her forearm against her forehead, thinking to herself in great despair: How far she's come that she would feel so aggrieved simply because they couldn't find the black lotus, that she would be driven to tears by this.

With this line of thought circling her mind, the door opened slightly and someone entered.

They closed the door gingerly, careful to not make any noise.

She restrained her desire to speak, her heart thumping thunderously in her chest.

He's back...

Mu Sheng entered the room. Upon doing so, he saw that there was a candle letting out warm and cozy light on the table, illuminating the room quite brightly. He was a little stunned, frozen in place for a moment.

He noiselessly walked closer to the bed. He raised his hand up to the candlelight, rubbing his fingers twice as if he wanted to borrow this bit of light to warm himself up.

He raised his head, looking at the figure in the sheets, his pitch-black pupils flickered under the dark yellow candlelight. He watched her peacefully for a long, long time.

Miaomiao was anxious as she shut her eyes, pretending to be sleeping. Her fingertips were curled up and when she lightly touched the back of her hand, her fingertips were dripping with cold sweat.

She felt like he stood there like a wisp of a ghost. She felt so uneasy that if she made a single movement, she would scare him away.

The thick stench of blood started to mix together with the cold breeze, slowly making its way to every corner.

He didn't get on the bed, only standing by the side for a while before turning around and exiting through the door quietly.

In the courtyard, he filled a tub with cold water. Then, he took off his blood-stained outerwear and sunk into the tub.