52

Liu Fuyi settled Mu Yao down by the Phoenix Tree. Her body was covered by his clothes and her eyes tightly shut.

At the side, the flames of the newly stoked fire warmly lit up Liu Fuyi's face. His hand softly caressed her as she slept deeply. Then, he lifted his face full of worries.

The Demon Suppressing talisman on the tree that was supposed to be protecting Princess Duanyang was completely gone. In addition, there was a missing Ling Miaomiao.

In the past few days, they had only been depending on the small amount of rations they had on themselves along with water from the creek within the illusion to survive. In this kind of situation, losing contact with one's teammates was exceedingly dangerous. If they didn't find them in time, some unthinkably bad things may happen.

He rose up, and looked around the area, taking great care to make sure to always be within sight of Mu Yao. Under a large copse of grass, he found the sleeping Princess Duanyang hugging her knees.

"Your highness...." He lightly touched Duanyang's shoulder but she acted as if a ghost had popped up in front of her face, about to scramble away until she clearly noticed his face and managed to calm herself down. Her face was full of grievance and fright as she rushed into his chest, crying in a loud voice, "Big Brother Liu, you finally came back..."

*

Mu Sheng rushed back along the path. Upon nearing the Phoenix Tree, he slowed down and then turned to enter the thick forest.

The eternally dark night could make one nervous. The large yet also round moon looked like a cutout someone just placed up there. It was cold and clear, without a hint of anger.

The creek water bubbled quietly, just like the soft singing of a young girl. The dead leaves on the ground below his feet crackled and creaked as they broke. His pace sped up more and more and he no longer tried to hide the sound of his footsteps.

The birds sitting on the branches above his head were startled and scurried away from their perch in a loud fluttering of wings.

The side of the creek was empty and deserted, only the clear reflection of the moon and the lichen covered boulder beside the embankment visible.

Didn't he tell her to wait here?

He lowered his head, noticing a small piece of coagulated blood. It had already turned black, nearly invisible as it hid amongst the motle dead leaves.

He stared at the blood stain stiffly for a while before turning and rushing back.

When he had arrived earlier, he had seen a man and woman in an embrace. From a distance away, he could see the pale white face of Mu Yao, laying on the ground.

"Sis?"

Mu Yao laid by the fire, frost condensed on her eyebrows and her breathing uneven. He crouched beside her and looked over her sleeping person. As if someone placed a cold hand onto his forehead, he immediately felt his heart calm.

However, that only lasted a moment before his heart once again became anxious.

His gaze circled around but he didn't see that familiar figure.

The current agitation he felt immediately turned into an uncontrollable evil fire within his chest. In a few steps, he rushed over to Liu Fuyi's side and pulled him away, staring him in the eye. Then, he turned around to face Princess Duanyang, whose face was like raindrops on a pear blossom.1 His tone was freezing, "Young Noble Liu, this is not the time to be playing around with girls."