33

The sunlight shone through the massive parasol trees in the inner courtyard of the palace, spots of light fell onto Ling Miaomiao's head.

A line of people were walking down the palace's center path and through the winding corridor bridges. Sometimes, they were in the shade of the trees, sometimes they were subject to the brilliance of the sunlight.

For reasons unknown, Mu Sheng was walking painstakingly slow. He unhurriedly enjoyed the scenery within the palace halls as Ling Miaomiao stood next to him, trying her best to avoid the fervent gazes of the palace maid and Xu Gonggong1 as they repeatedly turned around.

A group of small green clothed servants greeted them, they were wearing brightly colored clothes and at their head was a 15ish year old young eunuch. This eunuch himself was only half grown and had no capability in pressuring others. The young maids were boldly chattering and gossipping about, causing Xu Gonggong in their front to frown deeply and become infuriated.

Suddenly, there was a disturbance within the group of children, and a black shadow flew out from the group. It came directly to their side and Mu Sheng extended a hand as quick as lightning to catch it head on.

The young eunuch saw that Xu Gonggong's face looked like he was about to rip someone in two and cried out in fear within his heart. He immediately brought the group over to them with a lot of flapping of robes, "All of you shut up! Who was it that threw that out?"

Mu Sheng lowered his lashes to look at the little thing in his hand.

It was a bamboo butterfly, small and crudely made.

Xu Gonggong scrutinized Mu Sheng's expression and upon seeing that he didn't become infuriated or displeased, let out a sigh:
"They're all wild children that have come from commoners, they don't understand the rules...

Mu Sheng's eyelashes slightly moved and he extended his hand to return the wooden butterfly: "No harm done."

Xu Gonggong hung a smile upon his face but upon turning around, it turned into a grim and dark expression.

He faced the trembling group of young little green clothed children and admonished: "Once you've all stepped into the imperial palace, you can no longer act as you have in the past. If any of you act without following the rules again, I will catch you and bring you to the Punishment Hall to get beaten to death, do y'all hear me?!"

The young eunuch was so terrified he nodded his head like he was beating garlic: "Yes, yes. Gonggong yes."

Xu Gonggong coldly humphed and broke the wooden butterfly in two, casually tossing the two parts into the grass. He turned around and smiled amiably at Mu Sheng: "Young Noble Mu, this way please. Please be mindful of the time."
Mu Sheng looked at him but didn't make any sound.

Feeling his gaze fall upon him, Xu Gonggong trembled. In that moment, he had felt that his youngster's gaze was similar to his royal majesty's gaze. Cold, apathetic and sharp.

It caused one to become momentarily absentminded, to feel one's heard thump and no longer dare hurry them along.

Miaomiao and Mu Sheng were still together at the back, walking at a pace that wasn't slow but wasn't fast either. Miaomiao turned around to look and saw the group of young servants kneeling on their original spots.

Wind scraped past the trees along the side of the path, waves of green undulating along with the wind, letting out a loud rustling noise.

"...What's wrong with you?" Ling Miaomiao lightly touched Mu Sheng's arm.

"Don't speak." Mu Sheng was still calmly surveying the surroundings, his tone exceptionally cool.

"Young Noble Mu..." They had only walked for another minute or so along the short path when Xu Gonggong could no longer endure it. With his head covered with warm sweat, he turned around and took quick, small steps towards Mu Sheng, just as he was about to open his mouth with a squinty eyed smile upon his face, he heard a 'ah yah' and saw Mu Sheng suddenly bent over from his waist. Immediately, he was scared into a bewildered state: "Ah! Young Noble Mu, you..."