35

"Your highness..." Dowager Consort Zhao's expression was in between tears and laughter. Her voice was chock full of sarcasm as she repeated it again.

She had mixed around the palace for thirty years. How many girls used their all, coming in like waves, rising and falling like the tide, just for the title of 'Imperial Concubine'? In the past, she was also one of these girls. But now, her time had passed and newcomers had long taken the stage from her.

Peiyun didn't say much. Her face had gone white and she didn't have any intention of trying to explain. Tears dripped down her swollen cheeks, plopping one by one onto the ground.

The shock of the group of young palace maids all burst out at the same time, they all charged forth trying to not get left behind: "Your highness, you have to make things right for the princess! That gonggong harbors malicious thoughts, Peiyun absolutely has some sinister scheme!"

"Impudent!" Dowager Consort Zhao picked up the teacup and threw it over. It shattered beside the feet of the beauties and several young palace maids were so scared they went absolutely quiet for a period of time. Only a moment later, they immediately knocked their heads hard against the floor, looking exactly like ostriches trying to bury their heads in the ground.

Dowager Consort Zhao's eyes were red, filled with boundless resentment and unresolved grievance. Her chest rose and fell fiercely, "Do the people beside his royal majesty need any of your opinions?"

Upon hearing this, the childish faces of the maids lost all color.

Su Peiyun had stayed by Princess Duanyang's side for five years. She was the oldest and most experienced palace maid in Fengyang Palace. She was once one of his royal majesty's people. If it were to be said that she was exchanging information with an eunuch in the palace, it was very likely that this person was a former co-worker of hers. An eunuch by the side of the son of heaven. However, she was shifty in her manner of dealing with things, causing people to have no other choice but to think she was up to something bad.

This kind of reasoning was something the young palace maids couldn't understand.
Dowager Consort Zhao however, knew deeply inside the possibility of it being true.
Would Peiyun have such great guts to harm princess Duanyang so openly? What if the mountain backing her was the almighty emperor himself?

"I understand. It's been so many years and my imperial son still keeps that matter hung up in his heart. He's had a rough road from a young age and was never close to this consort. I can only resign to fate." Dowager Consort Zhao held in her tears, looking both depressed and sorrowful.

"That year, that matter arose from me. Why can't he target me? Minmin is still young, how could he possibly choose to attack his own younger sister?!"

"Your highness!" A palace aunty's hands shook as she grabbed ahold of Dowager Consort Zhao's clothes, who had already lost all reasoning, in an attempt to stop her from speaking any further: "Your highness, please! Calm your anger."

Liu Fuyi and Mu Yao took a glance at one another before going taciturn and watching the chaotic imperial family's gratitude and resentments. According to rumors, Zhao Qinru was born in a prestigious family.

From a young age, she was pampered and spoiled. When she entered the palace, she even became a tyrannical pampered consort. The previous emperor was willing to pluck the stars and moonlight for her.

There was just one little hiccup he found difficult to give to her--supporting her to the position of Empress.

However, she always felt that she was the very last victor because the previous empress didn't bear any sons. The son she birthed was raised under the previous empress's name and had smoothly taken over the throne.