45

"Sis, let me take a look at your hand."

Facing Mu Sheng's glimmering yet intimate eyes, that extremely pitiful manner, anyone would be unable to refuse. Mu Yao's long and delicate arms reached out of her sleeves with great reluctance before placing them in her little brother's hand.

Mu Sheng very very carefully blew on the several scratches on her hand and then pulled her down to the side to sit, "Let me help my sister apply medicine..."

"No need." Mu Yao didn't know whether to laugh or cry as she took back her hands, "They're all just surface wounds, I'm not that delicate."

Mu Yao wore a plain, white-as-the-moon, coat. Her beautiful collarbone peeked out from between the two rivers of hair flowing down and the taro purple cloth covering her chest. Even though her face looked rather pitiful, she was still as elegant as before. As the night wind blew and fluttered her skirt, she lowered her eyes and the teardrop-shaped birthmark at the corner of her eye was so beautiful, it could move one's heart.

However, she was worried about Liu Fuyi's injuries, thus only staying a few minutes before her heart started to feel restless.

At first, she had some doubts regarding the oppressive and dominating aura Mu Sheng had when he acted. However, seeing his little puppy-like appearance, he was still the little brother she knew the best. There wasn't any need to think too much.

As for the violent aura on him, it was most likely due to the overwhelming amount of blood from demons staining his clothes.

Mu Sheng stared unblinkingly at her while muttering, "Young Noble Mu only cares for the princess with no concern for sis. Next time I won't leave my sister's side again."
"What kind of childish words are those?" Mu Yao only felt tickled upon hearing his words.

But as she laughed, a thread of sourness uncontrollably rose up within her heart, "We have taken Dowager Consort Zhao's trust, of course we have to carefully care for her highness. If we can't even protect her highness, what else could we possibly do as demon hunters?"

She turned around to look at Mu Sheng's face, some gratification as well as disappointment coloring her face. Mu Sheng was already a head taller than her.

Even though they were not blood-related, he definitely didn't lose out compared to the good looks of the Mu family.

He also had the same kind of outstanding demon hunter talents as she did.

It seemed, however, that even though many years had passed, this younger brother of hers had never grown up.

He was still that little child huddled in her room by the door, waiting nervously for her to return. A youth whose entire face could turn into beaming smiles as soon as he heard a story.

The modern day Mu family had already regressed, leaving all the heavy responsibility on her shoulders.

The road ahead was boundless and Mu Sheng was still dependent on her.

Other than the great amount of willfulness he possessed, why couldn't he help with even the tiniest bit... her heart suddenly felt like stars of loneliness popped up everywhere.

When girls feel lonely and helpless, most of the time they will think of and fondly recall the people they usually rely on.

At that moment, she especially longed for Liu Fuyi. His warm embrace and his warm understanding were enough for her to feel like he would help her hold up the skies.

In the past, all those little things that they had made bets over due to her temper, now seemed to have become precious.

This entire fantasyland was exactly the nightmare Princess Duanyang had suffered oh so many times— the journey from the new temple to the old temple. The resplendent starlight and the all-encompassing cries of insects during the fall was exactly the same as reality, not even a single aspect out of place. The night wind was slightly chilly, drilling into one's sleeves and corners, blowing out all of the heat in one's heart altogether.