54

After leaving the illusion, Princess Duanyang fell ill upon her return to the palace. But it was unknown whether it was due to being drained from the journey or the aftermath of excessive shock.

In the past few days of her high fever, Peiyun kept vigil by her bedside. Every two hours, she would wipe her body off with cold water to keep her temperature down.

The curtains of Fengyang Palace shook slightly. A black robed figure walked in silently, sending away the attending maids before standing by Duanyang's bedside.

When Peiyun noticed his shadow, her hands couldn't help but freeze.

"Is she better now?"

Peiyun lowered her eyes, "Responding to Your Majesty, the princess's fever has broken."

"Then that's good" The emperor looked at her slender profile. On the fingers which should have been unblemished, there were unsightly scars due to torture. He hesitated before speaking, "Peiyun, this king has been inconsiderate and has wronged you."

Peiyun lowered her face and quickly shook her head. A few dewdrop-like tears were shaken off with this one move. "This servant is fine. She does not blame Your Majesty.

She couldn't help it since the one she fell in love with was him, who was the lord of all under the sky. Their statuses differed as much as the sky and earth. Besides humbling herself and being entrusted with taking care of his family, what else could she do?

The emperor's hand covered her cold ones, and with deep compassion, he called her name. "Peiyun."

She promptly pulled her hands away from his.

That tall, noble figure turned and left Fengyang Palace, leaving behind a few words. "Minmin is a little spoiled but she's a good girl. Take good care of her.

*

Her injuries lasted for a hundred days.
Although the system couldn't actually keep her injured for a hundred days, Ling Miaomiao still remained in the palace for three months to recuperate under the request of the protagonist group. During this time, she took strolls, drank tea, watched plays and spentber days leisurely.

In these past three months, all the matters of Chang'an City, Xingshan Temple, Tao Ying, and the sandalwood incense were settled. Ling Miaomiao leaned against the bed and listened eagerly to Mu Yao and Liu Fuyi's conversation.

"After becoming widowed, Tao Yushi became the matriarch of the Tao Family. She had always had an outstanding sense of smell and since she had her maiden home's skill of making incense, she opened an incense shop, creating incense seals, and making herself well-known to the locals."

Mu Yao sat at her bedside, holding a dagger and looking down to peel the apple. She carved the apple into the shape of a small rabbit, then handed it to Ling Miaomiao.

Miaomiao's eyes widened to the size of copper bells. She joyfully accepted it, looking it over, feeling reluctant to eat it. "Wah, thank you Sister Mu!"

Mu Yao smiled and nodded. She exchanged glances with Liu Fuyi, who had moved a stool over to their side, appearing to have endless patience.

Everytime, the peaceful days which followed the times when they were nearly separated forever, were always unendingly sweet.

Tao Yushi gave birth to two sons and one daughter. They were in poor health and none of them made it past twenty. All they left were a few children. She was nearing fifty but she still had to take care of her grandchildren.

"Tao Ying was the eldest grandson. He had helped her with handling the incense shop. He also had several younger brothers. One of them had inherited their grandmother's keen sense of smell. He was Tao Yushi's favorite. This boy was the sixth oldest and had just turned twelve when the accident occurred. He didn't have a name yet and everyone in the family just called him, 'Xiao Liu'. 1