25 (End of 1st Volume)

Photo above: Marquis Qingyi & young Mu Sheng

"If you detest me so, why did you speak falsehoods earlier?" Mu Sheng had a sparkle of incomprehension in his eyes.

Ling Miaomiao felt weird: Was this still the black lotus?

"That was for the greater picture. I didn't want disagreement to sprout up between you all — so I sacrificed myself for the benefit of the multitudes... understand? "

The black lotus kept his silence before turning around and lowering his eyes: "Liu Fuyi's scent on his cloak is making my head hurt."

This again.

Ling Miaomiao had been holding in a bellyful of anger for far too long already: "You have too many problems, stay away from me. That way, it'll be more peaceful for us both."

The instant Mu Sheng extended his hand to grab her cloak, she shot out her hand and struck it: "Don't touch."

This time, she was truly enraged. She had been completely ruthless and slapped his palm until fiery pain shot through his hand, causing him to subconsciously withdraw his hand. The way she tightly clutched the cloak made her look like an angry hen. The fire burning in her eyes was so strong, it seemed to be spilling out, scalding him and making him take a few steps back as she spat out the words: "I'm cold."

Mu Sheng raised his hands and was about to untie his own cloak when he heard her cold sneering voice: "I don't want Young Noble Mu's cloak. I only want Brother Liu's."

The darkness in his pitch black pupils immediately turned darker as his mouth drew taut. His voice was very low as he spoke: "Am I that inferior to Liu Fuyi?"
Miaomiao replied sarcastically: "After all, the one who's teaching me spells is Brother Liu.

The one who came to save me is Brother Liu as well. What you did, you know yourself very well."

Mu Sheng watched her for a while: ".... I gave you my scented sachet."

With him bringing this matter up again,
Miaomiao became pissed off: "Brother Liu's scented sachet can at least intimidate the small demons but what can your sachet do?!"

The black lotus's expression immediately changed, as if he was trying extremely hard to hold back his rage.

She unwrapped the cloak around her, "Who'd want your scented sachet, I'm returning it to you!"

She tried to tug it off but even after pulling at it for a long period of time, it still didn't budge.

Her hands had gone red from chafing when she discovered that the scented sachet had been attached to her with magic. It floated by her waist and followed her around wherever she went. She simply couldn't get rid of it.

Mu Sheng watched her with cold eyes, seemingly as if he wanted to say something. Yet, in the end, he didn't say a single word. After watching her for a while, he twisted his head over: "Miss Ling, you've seen it for yourself. You and us are people who walk different paths. If you choose to withdraw and return right now, we can still help safely send you to your home. Then, from now on forward, we'll go our separate paths; Under the soaring skies and water....

"Oh." Ling Miaomiao abruptly interrupted him.

She had a sudden understanding, "You're purposely trying to make me feel awkward because you want me to leave out of awkwardness?"

With her arrival, she had destroyed the subtle balance between the three of them. This sense of chaos didn't just affect Liu Fuyi, it also affected an unperturbed black lotus at the side.

At first he had let her stay to deal with Liu Fuyi yet somehow she started to grow more familiar with him. He wasn't used to it and entered a panic. He started to have evil designs on her, to remove this trouble at the roots. Even if she didn't die, she should've at least been mighty terrified. If she had been replaced with any other normal official's daughter, if they weren't scared till they screamed for their mommy and cried for their father to take them home, they would at least try their very best to stay far far away from the main leads.