65

Before Li Zhun hurried away, he ordered the servants to send food to Madam Shi. The kitchen lady at the Li Residence especially prepared a serving of millet porridge and brought it to her. In less than ten minutes, she once again brought it out untouched, confusion written all over her face.

"What happened?" Mu Yao paused with her chopsticks in the midst of grabbing some food as she asked the kitchen lady standing in front of the screen in a daze.

The kitchen lady pointed at Madam Shi's room and said in a lowered voice, "I knocked on the door and no one answered. When I pushed on the door and entered, I saw Madam laying on the bed with her back facing me. The curtains weren't even pulled up yet. From the looks of it, she hasn't woken up yet." She paused here for a moment then continued with a bit of anxiety, "She's already laid there for so long... nothing should've happened to her right?"

She wiped her sweaty palms on her apron as she asked with worry written all over her face: "The master of the house isn't here, Taoists, you are all experienced and knowledgeable so... should I go and invite a doctor over...."

"There's no need yet." Mu Yao smiled slightly, placating her, "You can go do your work now. If she doesn't improve today, then we'll go invite a doctor."

The fat kitchen lady didn't think too much and brought the bowl back to the kitchen with an 'oh.' She mumbled to herself, "The congee I simmered ah... what a pity...."

Chuchu sat on Liu Fuyi's knee, busy eating the prawn he was feeding her when she suddenly closed her mouth.

Liu Fuyi picked up a handkerchief to wipe her mouth and then asked warmly, "You don't want to eat anymore?"

After taking her medication, Chuchu's face returned to normal and she didn't look sick at all. She obediently allowed Liu Fuyi to wipe her mouth and then opened her eyes wide to stare at him, as if she had something she wanted to say.

"Chuchu, do you feel uncomfortable anywhere else?" Mu Yao's tone was somewhat anxious.

Among Mu Yao and Liu Fuyi, one of them hugged the little girl, wiping her face, while the other held a spoon at the ready, prepared to feed her soup at a moment's notice.

They worked in tacit understanding and if Ling Miaomiao didn't know the truth of the matter, she would've thought that she was witnessing a young loving couple caring for their child.

Ling Miaomiao turned her head away to observe Mu Sheng with interest. His long lashes were pointed down as he was fully concentrating on pushing rice into his mouth.

He didn't seem to have any particularly noteworthy reactions to the scene before him.

There was some disappointment in her gaze as she stared intently at him. She was trying to discover some clues from scrutinizing his face but all of a sudden, Mu Sheng raised his eyes and the two of them locked gazes.

The youth had been... stared at so intently he found it hard to swallow. He couldn't take it anymore so he glanced at her and she immediately started to shake, just like a little animal being discovered, lively to the extreme.

His heartbeat suddenly sped up and he immediately lowered his eyes again. Scanning the dishes on the table, he seemed to be considering which dish he should grab some food from to stuff her mouth with.

Ling Miaomiao had already discovered something off from his movements and immediately moved her face away, exclaiming vigilantly, "I don't wa--"

Mu Sheng's hand shook and the slice of carrot he had picked up dropped. He raised his head to look at her with dark, dark eyes. Miaomiao was immediately threatened by this expression of his and her words took a complete turn, "....nt to eat carrots.... I want chicken."