Maybe, Maybe not (Luka Modric x Sergio Ramos)

Luka has always been a good son to his parents, and his parents have returned the favor by giving him the freedom he deserves by granting him permission to bring home anyone he likes without having to worry about them.

But Luka didn't exactly like the concept of that. Not that he doesn't like freedom, but he just doesn't want to bother going after someone to look through their personality only to find out that they aren't a match. He finds it too complex for his simple mind to bear.

So his parents have no other choice than to take the route of arrange marriage.

And although it seems all fine in the beginning when Luka gets married to a handsome Spaniard who goes by the name of Sergio Ramos, their marital life soon takes its turn for the drama to unfurl.

It has been nearly a year since their marriage and Luka hasn't noticed anything about Ramos that seems to bother him, or any act that'd rather stand out to be suspicious.

Or maybe he just fell for the Spaniard more than he expected himself too. It's am arranged marriage, what can he expect? But everything about him exceeded Luka's expectations, and his parents could see it in Luka's eyes the first day the two were introduced to each other.

Sergio seemed like a humble and quite a lovely man by how well spoken and behaved he had been.

But it wasn't until the last month that everything began to change.

Luka would, as usual, be the true person that he is, talking about everything that'd pop up in his head. But at some point Sergio seemed to be annoyed and would turn himself to his phone, a sneaky smile immediately curling his lips.

It upsetted Luka. The Croatian had thought he's the reason behind Sergio ignoring him, but that would only prove to be his guilty conscience.

Because now, as he's sitting on the edge of the bed with Sergio's phone in his hands, he's in utter shock to see the texts between his husband and another woman who lives in Spain. Luka draws his hands to his mouth and breaks down into tears, his trembling thumb barely being able to scroll through all the insults about him that Sergio had texted the other woman.

His head felt dizzy, he couldn't think straight. The last drop of faith that he had in humanity completely washed away, and he sat there, a broken man, with his heart left in his hands, returned and rejected.

The phone slipped out of his hands to the floor with a thud, as Sergio rushed into the room in panic.

The first thing to pop up in his mind after seeing Luka crying and his phone on the floor is; he's absolutely fucked. And although he's supposed to laugh this off and shamelessly expose himself and his treacherous deeds, he all of a sudden felt unnerved.

His skin began to give of cold sweat. He swallowed a thick lump in his throat as Luka raised his head to look at Sergio.

The air between them, thick of tension, got thicker just as Sergio met with Luka's bloodshot, tearful eyes that explained how much Luka actually loved him and he just threw it off the cliff like it was something worth of nothing.

- "I-I'm divorcing you.."

Sergio's world came crashing down upon hearing that, as he fell to the ground, near to Luka's knees.

He had planned this. He couldn't deny the fact that he'd decided to talk to another woman to distract himself from Luka, whom he'd married.

But his standards were too high, so high that they couldn't be seen by anyone who actually had standards of the average level. Sergio thought there's a lot more in this world either than the skinny, pale and weak Croatian. He's not even of the same ethnicity for God's sake, Sergio had thought.

But it all boiled down to be him being a self absorbed, delusional bastard. He should've realized the worth of Luka: his pure, caring and loving heart, clean soul, simple mind, and calm and collected in character. A gem, which Sergio traded for a rock.

Luka sniffled and escorted himseld out of the room to prevent any other unwanted interludes with Sergio.

He really doesn't wish to see his face anymore. Well, not any soon around the future for the least.

---

Weeks, to months, then to years.

Two years. Doesn't sound too long but anyone who's been through it knows that it's actually eternity, and Sergio is more than sure to confirm that it's true.

At the beginning of his and Luka's seperation, he had convinced himself to stay strong and take it like a man and not feel sympathy for someone who's not the slightest worthy of an inch of his skin.

But when it'd evolved to months, he was beginning to feel a sort of suffocation and feeling of annoyance that neither could he rid, or tolerate. It kept him under pressure all day long for several months, slowly forcing his personality to mold into something much more different than what he had originally, or as default.

Sergio had finally begun noticing the mirror effect that his toxic traits reflected on him. It made him upset to know that this was a reason why he depicted himself to be a man who could stand strong alone whilst carrying weight.

But in reality, as he's realized, he can't. And the misery he's going through is a testimony to those who aren't willing to deny their false form of conscience.

One of his many favourite hobbies, women, didn't help to cure his depression either. But what it did instead is forced him to avoid this toxic trait of his even more, coming to have realized that a normal person wouldn't do such a thing.

And Sergio hated to admit himself as a part of the unusual. He hates it more because it's not the good kind either. It's the toxic kind, that'll continue to ruin you from within without you being aware of it slowly filling your mind with its darkness.

But now, he's determined to bring a change in him.

He's already very disappointed from his own deeds and disgusted from what he had done to Luka; a pure soul. He'd make it a mental note and remind himself everyday to bring a change in him for Luka; just worthy enough to he able to bring him back with some luck in his fate.

Although it'd hardly ever make sense for Luka to forgive Sergio in an instant, Sergio would walk a path with a huge change waiting for him ahead that'd secure his fate for the future.

Your past doesn't always define you. If you see it the right way, it'll refine you. You'll keep looking back at it, and every time you do, your determination to change into a better person continues to grow.

Sergio's motive is exactly that. He plans to change into a man anyone will barely recognize. He wants to return to the man he used to he nearly 2 years ago, when he had first met Luka.

But with this comes risks. This is a 50/50 chance for Sergio, because,

1) He cheated. He can't expect Luka to forgive him so easily.

2) He has been an asshole to Luka for a while, even though Luka hadn't done anything close to be considered 'annoying' or 'irrelevant'.

So now, he's either changing himself for all his hard work to only be in vain OR, for him to win the lottery and win Luka's heart back.

Let's see what the sands of time have chosen as their fate.

_____________