XXI - The Devil In Disguise

He is the devil in disguise... Never trust Klaus. ;)

__________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-One

"I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me," Rebekah said, turning away from the window where she had been watching the still smoking bodies simmer. "You know how I love to set things on fire."

Klaus smirked. "Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot? Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the helpless pregnant girl who is carrying my child."

"Oh, I am so moved by your new found sense of fatherly duty towards the werewolf carrying your hybrid bun in her oven," she said sarcastically, causing Klaus and I to both laugh.

"The werewolf would like to know what the plan is," Hayley said, walking in with one of Elijah's journals in her arms. 

I couldn't help but smile. I had read those things a thousand times over. Well, all except for one. He liked his privacy, and even though he loosened the reins for me a little bit, I knew that what ever he kept in that one journal must have been important. So, I never read it. 

"Well, that depends what plan you mean, love. My plan for global domination, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world," he smirked at her, and she gave him a fake smile before throwing a sharp pencil right at his neck, which I reached over and grabbed. He chuckled, and I smirked at him.

"The plan to rescue Elijah," Hayley said, sounding quite irritated. "You know, the good brother? The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back."

"In the front, if we're being specific," Klaus said, and I sighed, rolling my eyes at him as he smirked at me.

"You three said you'd get him back. So, is there a plan, or what?"

Rebekah and I both looked at Klaus with expectant looks on our faces, and he sighed. "Okay," he muttered, walking into the study and sitting down in his chair wtih his feet on the desk. "Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy, he is my friend."

I pushed Klaus' legs off the desk, smirking at him as he glared playfully while I sat down on it. "Yes, a friend that you are trying to ruin completely," I rolled my eyes.

"But a friend, nonetheless," he smirked back. "And, secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularlly nasty teenage witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly, sister, please," he said, gesturing to Rebekah.

"And thirdly, the plan, as you have demanded, is for Niklaus to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back."

Hayley seemed stunned. "That's not the whole plan, is it?"

I giggled. "Oh, of course not. Nik may very well be the most diabolical person on the planet," I smirked. "Aside from me, of course," I said, winking at him as I ruffled his hair. He laughed softly, then looked back at Hayley.

"Well, that's only the Plan A, love. There's always a Plan B."

Hayley seemed nervous to ask, not meeting his eyes when she did. "And what's Plan B?"

I grinned as he said the one, simple word.

"War."

*

I had spent the day with Hayley, but she told me that her little miracle baby was making her tired, so she went upstairs to sleep.