LXXVI - Waiting For Me

OH MY GOD THE STORY IS AT #144

THAT IS A NEW RECORD HIGH

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

YOU GUYS GET THIS SPECIAL LITTLE THINGY AND I HOPE THAT YOU LIKE IT

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventy-Six

I could hear small hisses of pain coming from Elijah's room, which, of course, made me worried. I knocked my knuckles on his door.

"Come in," Elijah called out. He almost sounded like he was struggling to speak, or saying the words through clenched teeth.

I opened the door and went inside his room, shutting it behind me. I saw him cleaning his wound, and to be honest, I wasn't all that surprised. The Mikaelson's, as well as myself, could not heal any wounds made by the white oak stake. We had to let it heal as if we were humans that just had a small talent for blood clotting. And, being a thousand year-old vampire, I imagined it was difficult for him. I knew from experience that it was less painful when someone else was nursing the wounds.

He was trying to wipe the blood away, wincing while he did so. He wore an unbuttoned blue shirt, which still had blood on it from the stake.

"Would you like some help?" I asked him.

He looked up at me and blinked, then nodded. "Yes. Thank you, Rose," he said, likely remembering that I was a nurse during the first and second world wars.

I knelt down on my knees in front of him so that I was at eye-level with his shoulder. I moved the shirt away a little, and then something extraordinary happened.

Every part of my brain told me to bandage it and just leave it be for a week or two. But my heart told me something else. My instincts were rarely wrong, they had saved us many times. I needed to follow them.

"Elijah, I need to try something," I told him.

He nodded once, giving me the permission to do whatever I had to.

I reached up and put my hand on his chest, my palm over the pierced skin. I didn't know what to do at first, but then I heard it. I heard the words as if someone was whispering them in my ear. I repeated them, and as I was doing so, I realized it was an incantation. My hand began to warm up as if it was in front of a fire. And then, it just... Stopped.

I opened my eyes and slowly pulled my hand away. He looked down at the wound when he saw that my eyes had widened in surprise. Only, there wasn't anything there.

"It worked..." I whispered.

Elijah couldn't believe it either. "I thought that you couldn't heal anything inflicted by white oak."

"I didn't think I could either," I replied.

"How did you know what to do?" he asked.

I bit my lip. "I don't really know. I just... Knew. Something in my told me to do it. Maybe it was my instincts."

He looked down at me with curiosity and amazement sparking in his eyes.

"Do you know what that's like? To just have this urge to do something?" I asked him.

"Yes... I do," he whispered.

He suddenly began to lean down, his arm going around my waist. And, once again, I felt another urge, but an entirely different one.

I put my hands on either side of his neck, and kissed him. He kissed me back with an equal amount of passion. I could feel the fire burning in my veins, and the feeling of his skin on mine was almost too much to bear.

My knees became weak, and that was when I pulled away. I could tell that this would become a little more heated, had I let it go any further.

He made me feel so much. He made me feel safe and loved, and my heart wouldn't stop racing every time I was even in the same room with him. I couldn't lose him, but at the same time, I couldn't be with him. Not now.

How could I love another person when I hate myself so much?

"I can't do this," I rushed out. "I'm sorry."

I rushed out of the room, and he let me go. I was happy that he did. I went to my room, feeling my heart racing in my chest. I paced the floor, and was not aware of the fact that I hadn't shut the door until Klaus came in. He walked over so that he was standing in front of me, but I just kept on pacing.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I will be if people stop asking me that damned question!" I shouted. I stopped when I realized how harshly I had snapped at him. I frowned a little, and bit my lip. "I'm sorry."

He stared down at me with a worried and concerned expression. And I knew that now, in the condition I was in, I really couldn't lie to him. So I answered his question.

"No, Klaus. I'm really not."

I struggled to speak, and a lump formed in my throat.

He walked forwards and pulled me into a hug. He didn't have to say anything else, he just had to hold me. However, he still spoke.

"Once again, I'm reminded of something that Elijah once said," he told me. "It's all right to not be strong every day, Rose."

I hugged him back tightly, biting my lip. "I want to let him in. But I can't."

He pulled away to look me in the eyes and put his hands on my shoulders. "I have been with him for a thousand years, and this is the closest I have ever seen Elijah come to true love. Not even Katerina or Celeste made him feel this way, I know that for a fact."

I swallowed the lump, feeling my eyes watering. "Klaus, I'm scared," I whispered. "I haven't ever felt anything like this, and it TERRIFIES me."

"Life in itself is terrifying, love, and you're stuck with with it for a while," he said. "If you let him in, and the two of you love each other unconditionally, I know that you will never regret it."

"I didn't think you'd want us together, Klaus," I said, wiping at my eyes a little with my sleeve cuff.

"You have yourself and Elijah to thank for that, love. You've taught me, especially in this past year, that it's okay to let yourself feel. It's okay to want something, no matter what anyone else around you says," he told me. "You two were made for each other. You always were."

"How do you know that?"

"You didn't see it, Rose, but you both always put each other before anyone else, even when you were in a relationship with another person. We all saw it, except for the two of you."

I bit my lip. "I didn't realize..."

He nodded once to me. "Think about it, Rose. Who did Elijah come and find first in the plantation house when the witches were being executed?"

"Me..."

"And who did you go and find first when I was going to use the white oak stake on Rebekah in the cemetery?"

"Elijah..."

He smiled softly. ""Don't you see? You have loved each other for a thousand years. You just didn't know it until now."

"Klaus, I'm not ready... Not yet," I whispered.

"You don't have to be. But I can guarantee that he will be waiting for you when you are."