CXXIII - The Strix

So the song for this chapter really has nothing to do with the story. It's a song by MAX, a good friend of Christina Grimmie's. He wrote it for her and posted it 12 hours ago. I honestly think that it is beautiful. It reminds me of everyone I've lost, but after hearing it... I don't know, I guess I just kind of feel closure. I know that it sounds disrespectful for me to actually need to find closure for the death of someone that I didn't know personally, but I did need it because it's been a week and I still can't quite come to terms with her death. I hope that this song will help some of the other fans of hers as much as it helped me.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One Hundred & Twenty-Three

I had gone to visit Hayley and Hope for a few hours, while Elijah and Klaus went off to see the witch that Lucien was rather close with now. Elijah wanted to see the predictions for himself.

It wasn't long before my phone rang, and I apologized to Hayley before answering it after I saw the contact name.

"Miss me already, darling?" I asked, smirking ever so slightly.

"But of course," Elijah said, and I could practically see the smile on his face. That is, before he sighed.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"It appears that Marcellus and Lucien have something to do with the prophecy. Klaus is going to take care of Lucien, and I am going to find Marcellus. Would you care to help me?"

"Of course," I replied, standing up from the couch. "I'll meet you at his place, alright?"

He agreed, and then hung up. I looked to Hayley with an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, I'm going to have to bail," I frowned. "Mikaelson issues."

She nodded, sending me a soft smile. "It's fine, Rose. Jackson should be home any second anyway."

"I'll be back later," I smiled regretfully.

She nodded to me, and picked up Hope out of her crib as I walked out of the apartment. I ran straight to the other side of the river, not bothering to take my car. I was there in less than a minute, and Elijah met me there only a moment afterwards.

We both walked into the apartment, and the first bad thing that I noticed was the door being wide open. The second bad thing was Josh laying on the ground, almost unconscious. It appeared that he was just waking up. He was surrounded by many other vampires, all still unconscious. They were still rather young compared to Josh, so it took longer for them to wake up than it did for him.

I went over to him, and took his forearm in my hand before helping to lift him up and grabbing his shoulder to make sure he stayed sitting up straight.

"Are you alright?" I asked him, rather concerned. I quite liked Josh. I just hoped it wasn't a wolf or some other poison-carrying being.

Elijah came over to us and handed Josh the handkerchief from his chest pocket.

"Joshua..." he said, walking around Josh and I to inspect the apartment. "Would you kindly enlighten me as to what happened here?"

"This woman," he groaned, putting a hand to his left shoulder in pain before attempting to get up, which I assisted him with.

"What woman?" I asked him.

"I don't know," he said, and I helped him to his feet. "Said she had to talk to Marcel in private. We tried to get rid of her and boom, smackdown city, which obviously went quite well."