LI - Finally Free

This was so emotional. </3

The song for this chapter is "Walkabout" by Augustines. And in case you guys recognize it, it's from the original episode. :D It's the song that plays when Rebekah leaves New Orleans in her red car. ^_^

I hope you like it!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifty-One

It went on for hours. Klaus would run in the direction of where he caught Rebekah's scent, and either Elijah or myself would go right in front of him. I would do this all day if I had to. Hell, I'd do it all week. I didn't want to hurt him in order to prevent him from killing her.

But I would. If I had to, I would.

"You've been at this for hours. To what end? Niklaus, I know you, and I grew up fighting you. I can't be beaten, nor can I be persuaded. You cannot get past me."

"I could get past you," Nik stated coldly as he glared at Elijah. "Although, it might have to be over your dead body. You did stab me with that blade, forcing me to endure hours of unspeakable pain! Perhaps I should direct my rage toward you," he said, pointing the end of the stake at him.

"You should see yourself," Elijah said. "The murderous expression, the self-righteous posturing. You look like father."

Klaus slowly put the stake down, a horrified expression coming onto his face before it was replaced with a stubborn one. He glanced at me, as if wanting my help in the situation, then remembered that I wasn't on his side. "I'm not him. Rebekah's betrayal justifies my anger, his was that of a madman. You were never the recipient of his cruelty, none of you were! Not Kol! Not Finn! None of you!" he was angry. It was like he was blaming his siblings for not being abused by their father. "I think you've forgotten what he was truly like."

"No," Elijah said darkly. "I have not forgotten."

It seemed that Klaus and Elijah were stuck in the memories of their father. I knew that Elijah could convince him to give up on getting revenge on Rebekah for her actions.

"Elijah," I said, and he looked over at me. "I'm not an original. I can leave. I think I should look through your mother's grimoire. It might have something about how to break the barrier."

He nodded. "Be careful."

"You too," I told him, glancing over at Klaus before leaving.

I was right. I could exit the cemetery. I went to the abattoir as fast as I could, making sure that the humans didn't see my blur of a body as I did. When I reached it, I went directly to the study, and found the grimoire in Klaus' bookcase.

I had found a spell similar to the one that Celeste had used to make the barrier. I put the book out, and began to chant. I knew exactly how to break the spell, and quickly too. I was almost finished, and I could feel the power from the spell seeping into me instead.

However, it seemed that other people didn't want me to bring down the barrier. One of them being Marcel.

"Sorry," he whispered as he appeared behind me.

And a moment later, my neck was snapped to pieces.

*

"MARCEL!" I shouted, running down the stairs as I saw him at the entrance of the abattoir, talking to one of his vampires.

It was already dark. It would likely be too late to save Rebekah if Klaus was as angered as he says he was. And all because Marcel stopped me from saving her.