LXXIX - Bloodbath

I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED THE WORLD OF NIGHTCORE.

I SHALL SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventy-Nine

"Alright, the kids are being held in the City of the Dead until we bring them through the Quarter to St. Anne's Church. Now, meanwhile, Vincent is holding a meeting with a few humans in the know. The ones who have been...reluctant to fall in line with his new leadership," Aiden explained to us in Marcel's loft.

I was still a little unsure about the wolves, but this didn't seem to be a trap. Oliver knew better than to lie to us, and Aiden had a good heart, I could see that. He only wanted to protect his brother, and we could help with that.

"He's going to use the children to kill any opposition," Elijah said in realization.

Aiden nodded. "Activate their curse, send a message to anyone who's thinking about going against him. It's two birds, one..."

"Bloodbath," I ended for him, whispering the word and biting my lip afterwards.

He nodded in reply. "Exactly."

"Okay, so, we'll hit them while the kids are on the move," Marcel said.

"Aiden, make certain you and Oliver escort the children," Elijah told him. "We'll handle the rest."

"Wait wait wait wait," Oliver rushed out. "Esther and her psycho son are already giving me the stink eye. If these kids go missing on my watch, I'm as good as dead."

"You want to help your people, and you want to make amends for everything that you have done, Oliver?" I said. "This is your chance. Take it or leave it."

Needless to say, he took it.

I had a bad feeling about this. I knew that we could do it, but with Esther, she was almost always one step ahead. What if she had something else planned, and this was just a distraction?

Elijah and I were walking to one of the cars to go back to the Quarter, when I went in front of him. "I want to come with you and Oli," I said.

"No," He said. "You can't fight, not after everything that's happened to you recently."

"Yes, I can," I argued.

He shook his head. "Roseia, you cannot put yourself at risk, not now."

"I'm putting myself at risk just by living, Elijah," I told him. "And I'm not dying anytime soon."

He blinked a few times, then sighed. "I do not want you to get hurt, Rose... I won't let you get hurt."

I bit my lip, then slowly nodded. He was intent on not letting me go with him and Oli.

Maybe he was right. I wouldn't be of much use, I'd be more helpful keeping the kids safe. Whether I wanted to believe it or not, the two of them could look after themselves.

"Fine," I said. "I'll help Hayley."

He nodded. "Good."

*

"Oli!" Hayley whispered. "This way!"

Oliver quickly led the kids into the alleyway, and we took them further to reach Rousseau's. We took them into the kitchen, where Josh was waiting. He pulled away a cupboard from the wall, then took pulled open a small hatch-like door.

"Go ahead," he told them. "It's a passageway from the Prohibition days. It'll take us pretty much anywhere we want to go."

Once the kids were all through, Josh went, then Hayley, then me. I looked back at Oli worriedly. He was nervous, but was hiding it well.

"I'll be fine," he said, pausing for a second. "So will he."

I looked back at the others, then turned and hugged Oli tightly. He was surprised, then wrapped his arms around me and embraced me too. "Good luck, Oliver."

We both pulled away, and I went into the tunnel after Hayley, shutting the door behind me. I ran down the tunnel, following after them. It wasn't long before we reached an exit, and Josh punched it with his hand. The metal barred door fell the ground, which opened up to a small forest on the edge of the city. A gas station was in front of us, which was where Marcel would be bringing the car..

"Hey," I heard Josh say to Gia. "Where's Marcel?"

"Uh, he's getting the getaway car," Gia told him.

"Hey! Big mouth's!" Hayley hissed. "Shut it! There are werewolves everywhere!"

It turned out that the 'car' was actually an ambulance. He drove it into the gas station, and compelled the clerk to keep quiet about it and forget that he saw any of us. We led them all to the gas station, with a boy who kind of looked familiar trailing behind us. I stayed back to make sure he didn't get left behind.

"Nick!" Aiden called out.

"Aiden! You made it!"The boy said, happy to see him. The boy went forwards and hugged him tightly. It appeared that this was the little brother Aiden was talking about.

"Of course I did," he said. "I told you I'd be here, didn't I?" he pulled away and nodded to the ambulance. "Go."

Nick nodded, and climbed into the back of the ambulance.

Aiden turned to Marcel, Hayley, and I. "Thank you. All of you."

"We're all fighting for the same thing, you know," Hayley said. "Just fighting to protect the ones that we love."

Aiden nodded to us, and before long, Hayley and Marcel were gone, while I was standing with Aiden.

"I'm going to go and check on Elijah and Oliver," I said.

He nodded to me, and I left.

I could never have imagined what awaited me.

When I reached the parking lot, the place reeked of death and drying werewolf blood. I reached the scene to see dead bodies everywhere. Some of them were completely torn apart.

The relief that I felt when I realized that none of them were Elijah and Oliver was amazing, but it was soon taken away when I smelled their blood. They had both bled a large amount, Elijah more than Oliver.

But neither of them were here.

I didn't think anything of it at first, I just thought that they decided to leave and get someone to clean up their mess. But I knew that Elijah wasn't one to leave a mass of dead bodies for any human to find. That simply wasn't in his personality, he wasn't careless.

I tried to call Elijah, but got the answering machine. I asked him where he was, then told him to call me as soon as he could. I didn't notice it for a moment, but then I knew that something was wrong. Elijah's phone was laying beside one of the cars, buzzing on the pavement. I went over to it and picked it up, and saw that it was coated in a bloody handprint. Something had happened to them... Both of them. Where the hell were they?

Then I remembered the bad feeling that I had gotten earlier. I was right, Esther really did have something else planned.She took Elijah. 

 She really didn't have a reason to take Oliver, so where was he? I quickly called him too, but he didn't answer either. His phone wasn't here, he must have had it on him.

What the hell was going on?