LXXVIII - Intoxicating

:') You're gonna love me.

I think.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventy-Eight

The next days that followed were uniquely difficult. I was weak and exhausted, but I couldn't bring myself to do the one thing that would make me feel better. I just couldn't do it, and I wasn't planning on telling Elijah or Klaus about it.

I decided to go downstairs and get some water, maybe that would make me feel better. I felt a little dehydrated.

It turned out that my senses were weakening as well, because I didn't hear Klaus come into the kitchen behind me.

"Alright, you need to tell me right now," he said. "What on earth is wrong with you?"

"Nothing," I muttered.

"Roseia, you look like you're dying," he stated, a worried tone coming into his voice. "You have to tell me what's wrong."

"I can't," I whispered, biting my lip and looking down at my water, then I got up from the table and walked over to the island to stand beside him. "At least, I can't right now."

He watched me closely for a moment, then put the back of his hand against my forehead like a parent would do to their child. "You're cold. Are you ill?"

I sighed. "Klaus, I'm a vampire. Of course I'm cold."

"No, Rose. You're freezing," he said. "You're pale as well. Are you sure you're feeling alright?"

"I'm fine," I told him. I got up and left the room, walking upstairs to the library.

I left the kitchen and went up to the stairs, and didn't hear the way that Klaus told Elijah of my deteriorating state.

I went over to the desk, and was going to look for a book to read, when I felt my knees collapsing under me. I held onto the desk, then put one of my hands on my forehead after I was stable. I felt a rushing feeling, like I was falling.

When I was convinced that I was alright, I let go of the desk, only to drop down again. It felt like the world around me was spinning in circles

I felt an arm circle around my waist, and looked up to see Elijah holding me to him.

"Roseia, are you alright?" he asked worriedly, helping me stand on my own two feet.

I nodded. "I'm just tired, that's all," I told him.

I moved his arm off of me, ignoring the small tingles that I got when my skin touched his arm.

"When did you last feed?" he asked.

I swallowed. That was the question I had dreaded. I didn't want to answer him.

"Roseia, you must tell me," he said, walking a little closer to me.

"The night we went after the wolves," I said, my voice cracking.

His eyes widened slightly. "Are you telling me that you haven't fed in a month?"

Other vampires would have been desiccating far before now, but I was a hybrid. It took a lot longer for me to feel the effects of not feeding, and now, I was feeling it strongly.

I bit my lip. "I-I can't feed anymore, Elijah..." I said.

"What?" he seemed genuinely concerned.

"The hunger... It overwhelms me. I-I found a woman and tried to drink from her, then compel her to forget like I always do, but... I killed her. It was too late," I said, shaking my head and turning around so that I wouldn't have to face him. "I can't keep on killing, Elijah. I just can't do it."

"Then feed on someone who can't die," he reasoned with me.

"No," I said. "I can't f-"

I cut myself off, turning around when the scent hit me.

He had taken the letter opener off of the desk and cut the side of his neck. He knew that it was a better way to feed than from the wrist. He also knew that it would draw more blood to convince me.

I licked my lips, then bit my lower lip in an attempt to stop myself. I balled my hands into fists.

"Elijah, I won't be able..." I trailed off, breathing a little heavier. "I won't be able to stop."

He took a few more steps until he was standing directly in front of me. "Then don't."

I licked my lips again, then shook my head. "No, I-"

"Roseia," he whispered, and I took my eyes away from the blood to look him in the eyes. "Feed."

I bit my lip once more, then looked him in the eyes. It could have just been the hunger taking over me, but the scent of his blood seemed like it was a thousand times more intoxicating than any human I had ever drank from.

He took one step closer to me so that he was only a few inches from me, and I took one deep breath. Then I darted forwards and sank my elongated fangs into his neck, moaning in approval when the blood pooled into my mouth.

My left arm went around his waist, while my right one lifted up and went to the back of his neck to make sure that he didn't move. Then I moved forwards, pushing him up against the wall.

His arms circled around me, and his hand went up to my head. He kept his palm on the back of my head, his fingers entangling themselves in my hair as he moaned softly.

I had never heard him do anything like that, and it was kind of amazing. I guess that he liked being fed on.

He tasted so good. He was better than any human I had ever drank from.

I let out a muffled moan, sinking my fangs slightly deeper into his neck. He groaned in reply, causing me to hold onto him a little tighter.

Suddenly, I felt my grip on him lacking. He was becoming weak.

I removed my teeth from his neck, jumping back and staring at him in horror.

I had lost control. For a split second, I didn't want to stop. What if I hadn't? What if I had kept going? What if I kept on drinking, and he didn't push me away before he went limp?

"I could kill you," I whispered.

He seemed stunned that I was still scared of hurting him. Maybe because he knew that I physically couldn't, but I still worried about him.

"Roseia, I will say it again," he said, moving towards me and putting his hands on either side of my neck. "I. Can't. Die. You don't have to worry about me."

I bit my lip, licking off the blood that still lingered there as my breathing increased. "I can't lose you, Elijah," I whispered. "I need you."

He stayed quiet, but didn't take his hands off of me, even though I wanted him to. I didn't know what I'd do if I kept feeling his hands on me like that.

It was safe to say that I no longer trusted myself.

"The thought of hurting you in any possible way makes me scared of myself. I used to have control, I used to not worry about hurting everyone around me. But I don't have that anymore," I said. I reached up and took his hands off of my neck, holding them in mine for a moment before letting them go. "When you told me to focus on something, I focused on you. I care about you more than the others, Elijah... And that scares me."

"Elijah! Rose!" I heard Hayley shout. We looked to the doorway of the study, where Hayley was now standing.

She stared at us with a surprised expression, likely smelling the blood. A look of realization came onto her face when she saw the healing bite on Elijah's neck, and my improved condition. It appeared that she didn't have time to ask about it, because she immediately told us what was wrong. Or, rather, what she needed.

"I need your help with the wolves," she said.

I looked up at Elijah, then wiped at my mouth with my sleeve and quickly went after Hayley, with him following right after me.