XXIX - The Worst Of Him

Hiiii. :)

I HAVE RETURNED.

Okay bye.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Klaus must've known. That's the only explanation," Hayley said. "He couldn't care less about the baby, he just wants her to be born so he can use her to make more sired hybrids."

I shook my head, looking down and crossing my arms over my chest.

It turned out that the blood of the unborn child inside of Hayley had the same blood as Klaus; it can make hybrids. And they all assume that Klaus knew.

They didn't seem to realize it, but I had seen a change in Klaus. I knew him well enough to fully aware that he would never have trekked into the bayou unless he cared about who ever was out there. No one else seemed to notice it except for me, but I saw the way that he was protective over Hayley. Yes, he acted as if she was a possession... But regardless, he acted like she belonged to him. Like she was his. In other words, she would protect her above all else.

"Although... The way that Dwayne was acting, it was more like he was sired to me."

Elijah looked up. "We should take you home."

"Are you serious? Home to what?" Hayley asked, looking astonished.

"Look, regardless of my brother's intentions, mine remain the same. I said that I would protect you. Even if need be from Klaus himself."

"I can take care of myself," Hayley said, standing up and walking away. "I've done it for a long time."

We continued to walk, following after her. I stayed completely silent, which was rare, and Elijah definitely noticed.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"Rose, I've known you long enough to be fully aware that you are lying each and every time you say that," he stated. He moved in front of me, still glancing behind him to make sure that Hayley was still there before looking back down at me.

"Move, Eljiah," I growled. I moved over to the side, and when he went in front of me again, I decided to tell him how I really felt. "You always expect the worst of him. Do you think he'd go walking through the woods for just anyone? Do you really think that he would have wanted to get rid of the child for so long if he knew that it's blood could be used to make the hybrids?" I was getting increasingly angry.

"You know Niklaus," he argued. "He is devious and manipulative."

"He is also a person, Elijah!" I shouted. "He is your brother! You are the one that believed that the baby could be his salvation, and now, when he shows that he actually cares for it by likely almost killing Tyler, you only think about the worst possible scenario!"

I shoved past him. He said my name and reached out to stop me, but I shook his hand off my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I yelled at him.

I walked ahead of both Elijah and Hayley, and reached Klaus within minutes. He had been walking along the porch of a small house on the river's edge, and looked over at me with a small smile, then frowned when he saw the angered look on my face. "What has you in a mood?" he sighed. He immediately thought that it was something he had done.

"Don't worry, it wasn't your fault," I said, sighing and walking over to him. "And no matter what happens within the next few moments, just know that I... I know that whatever they accuse you of was not your intention, Nik."

He continued to seem puzzled with what I had said, then turned to look at the tree line when he saw Hayley and Elijah emerge from it.

"There you are," Klaus started, a smile on his face as he saw Hayley. "I see you've found our wandering stray. Perhaps she could shed some light on the situation?" With that, he kicked the body of a man who I hadn't even noticed off of the steps of the porch. "This, would appear to be the body of a hybrid!"

"His name was Dwayne," Hayley said coldly.

"Well, whoever he was, I didn't sire him. Any idea how that's possible?"

"As if you didn't know," she said angrily, and went to go at Klaus, while Elijah pulled her back and stopped her.

Realization came over Klaus' face. He glanced at me before looking back at the pair. "Ah... Well, aren't you two fast friends? Come on then, what horrible accusation have you conspired to levy against me?"

"Tyler Lockwood brought Hayley here to test a theory," Elijah said. "That the blood of her child could be used to sire hybrids. He claims that you knew that. Furthermore, you intended to use this knowledge to build an army."

"And of course, you assume it's true. I mean, why else would I show any interest in my own flesh and blood?" He was becoming just as angry as I was. "A heartbroken little crybaby points his finger at me, and my own brother falls in line, eager to believe it! How quickly you assume the worst, especially when it comes from her," he said, staring at Hayley angrily.

"Oh, spare me your indignation. When have you ever demonstrated any kind of concern towards Hayley or her child beyond your own selfish pursuits?! And what was it you once said to me, 'Every king needs an heir'!" he said, imitating Klaus' raspy and deep voice.

I wanted to snap his neck to stop him from talking. I moved forwards, but Klaus stopped me, just as Elijah had prevented Hayley from doing the same only a few moments earlier.

"My big brother," Klaus said. "So you doubt my intentions? Well, I can't say that I'm surprised. Standing beside the noble Elijah, how can I be anything but the lesser brother? A liar, a manipulator," he paused. "A bastard," he stepped off of the porch, walking towards Elijah with a menacing expression. "That's all I am to you, isn't it? And to Rebekah. And judging by the way Hayley hangs on your every word, it's clear that she feels the same way. No doubt my child will as well."

"Brother, if we have-" Elijah started, but was cut off when Klaus put his hand on his shoulder, gripping it tightly.

"We have said all that needs to be said, brother," he hissed. He took his hand off, putting both hands up and smiling. "I'll play the role I've been given," he turned around, walking towards the porch. He winked at me, and I knew what he was going to do.

"Klaus, no!" I shouted, but he didn't listen.

He spun around, and sped to Elijah, sinking his teeth into his brother's neck. Elijah cried out, and Hayley gasped. Elijah had sunk to the ground, then slowly began to stand again, clutching his injured neck when Klaus removed his teeth.

"You two enjoy each other's company," Klaus said. "You'll have much to bond over once the hallucinations and dementia set in. Consider that bite my parting gift to you both," and with that, he walked away.

"Well, Elijah," I said, shrugging my shoulders before crossing my arms over my chest. "You expected the worst of him, and you got it. Are you happy now?!"

He was about to speak, but he didn't say anything.

"You know what, no," I growled. "Don't talk. Just get into that house while I go and do some damage control. I'll come back and give you my blood tomorrow. The more time passes, the stronger I get, and right now I'm not nearly strong enough to even put a dent into the power that the damn bite has," I growled.

I walked in the direction that Klaus had disappeared to, and they both took a step to follow me. "Stay here!" I shouted. "You two got yourselves into this mess, now I'll be the one that fixes it," I hissed.

This time, they actually listened.