LVII - You Signed The Treaty

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAITLINNNNNNNNN. :D

I hope you like my gift. ;) As well as the gift I'm gonna give you, I will also include this update AND another one in an hour or so.

Enjoy. ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifty-Seven

"Are you kidding me?" I asked.

Klaus shrugged his shoulders, leaning against his desk with a soft smirk.

"Oh, come on, Klaus. You were completely against this peace treaty. You expect me to think that you actually want to go to this thing?"

Elijah sighed as he walked into the room. "It appears that Genevieve has made her amends with Niklaus."

I bit my lip. "Elijah, I'm not sure about this. I don't trust her."

"Neither do I," Klaus said.

"Then why the hell are you sleeping with her?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Distractions. Who said alliances can't be fun?"

I rolled my eyes.

Genevieve had somehow convinced Klaus and Elijah to let her throw a celebration for "Fete des Benedictions". It was basically just a party that the witches threw in order to get free stuff and give the humans fake blessings. Her excuse for it was that the witches hadn't had a celebration since Marcel banned magic, and she wanted to introduce the harvest girls to the public. That was really the only reason I actually tolerated this, because of Davina.

She didn't like Klaus, but I guess that didn't seem to bother her in terms of being around me.

Klaus sighed, seeming to have had enough of me and my stubborn personality. I sighed and turned to Elijah, crossing my arms over my chest. "We need to convince the others to come. The wolves as well as the humans and vampires. We have to show the witches that we will follow the treaty, as well as accept them."

Elijah nodded. "In that case, would you care to join me in persuading the factions? Particularly the vampires?"

I agreed, and within a few hours, we were standing right in front of a small group of vampires in shared territory. We explained to them what we wanted them to do, and Diego came forwards. He looked like he couldn't believe what we were telling him.

"You want us to go to a witch event on bended knee and give them a gift?" he asked, then scoffed and laughed. "I'm sorry, but I just remembered, we're busy doing just about anything else that night."

Elijah narrowed his eyes. He was trying to intimidate Diego, and it worked. "Diego, this isn't a request. Your name is on that treaty. Now, if you have any difficulty whatsoever with your new-found position, I'd be more than willing to remove you."

"I never thought I'd see the day," Diego said. "Vampires bowing down to witches."

"I see it as a demonstration of strength, acknowledging a lesser faction," Elijah replied.

Diego looked over at me, as if he was expecting me to argue with Elijah and say that the witches didn't deserve our presence. But I didn't say a word.

He narrowed his eyes at me, then sighed. "Fine. We'll be there."

Next was Francesca Correa. Now, I was definitely not looking forwards to being around her.

"But you're not asking," she said. "Are you?"

Elijah shrugged his shoulders, while I just smirked at her and took another sip of my whiskey.

"I see it's true what they say about you, Elijah. You make even strong-arming seem noble."

"Yes, he does," I smiled. "The tourists love this. Therefore, you should love it too."

She stared at me silently for a moment, then nodded. "I take it you want me at the public show and the private party afterward?"

Elijah and I both nodded. "That's correct," he said.

"I'd be happy to attend. And in return, you will owe the humans a favor."

We both agreed, not wanting to press the matter any further.

We exited the bar, and I groaned when I did. "I don't like her."

"Is there a reason why?" Elijah asked.

"I just don't. I... I think there's something off about her. I don't trust her. Maybe I should be looking into undoing Father Kieran's hex. We need him back."

Elijah sighed. "You already tried that, Rose. It didn't work. The hex has taken root, there isn't a way to remove it."

I frowned, then nodded. "I suppose so..."

"Well, now it is time for the hardest group," Elijah said as we neared his car. He walked to the passenger door, unlocking the car before pulling the door open for me. "Hayley's wolves."

I nodded, and thanked him before climbing into the car.

I trusted Jackson and Oliver. But at the same time, I knew that they were lying to me.

"Your people are uniquely poised to set an example for the rest of the French Quarter. Which is why it's important for the wolves to attend," Elijah said.

"Thanks, but no thanks?" Hayley said, smiling. She probably thought we were joking.

Oliver sighed. "Let's hear the man out," he said.

"The witches are the ones that cursed your pack," she told him, acting like he had forgotten. "And they've been nothing but crap to me since I first came to town," she turned to Elijah and I. "No. We're not going."

"You signed a treaty, Hayley. You need to be civil," I told her.

"It's a new day in the Quarter," Jackson nodded to me. "I agree with Oliver. If we're gonna coexist, we have to play ball," he looked to us. "We'll send a representative with a gift."

I frowned a little at Hayley, who was extremely annoyed with us. She turned and walked away. Elijah and I glanced at each other, then we followed after her. We ended up in front of her, and I spoke.

"That was too easy," I said. "They almost killed Diego the last time they say him. They wouldn't be so willing to come and show their support for the treaty unless they had something else planned."

Elijah nodded. "Don't trust him... Don't trust any of them."

We both walked back to the car, leaving Hayley to do what she does best: find out what the people around her are hiding.

We got into the car, and started the drive back to the quarter, when he spoke.

"I saw the way he looked at you last night," he said.

"Who?" I asked, though I already knew.

"Diego," he replied.

"He doesn't care about me anymore," I told him.

"You're wrong," he said. "He does care about you. He loves you."

"I don't love him, Elijah. That's the problem," I sighed, looking out the window and watching as the car swiftly passed the trees.

He stayed quiet for a second. "Do you wish that you did?"

"Surprisingly... No, I don't. I don't love him, and I don't want to."

"Why?"

"Because he knew how much my family meant to me. He got angry with me when I wanted to help you and Nik. And then he almost tried to kill Nik," I said. "He didn't trust you. And I think that, for some reason, he thought that I needed protection. I don't."

"No," he said, a smile coming onto his face. "You most certainly do not."