Pen Pal || S.S

Math class. The subject you find the most boring and superfluous.

You sat down and a few minutes later the teacher came in the door and the lesson started.

Your attention was quickly distracted.  You pulled out your notebook and started to draw when you caught sight of a song lyric written on the desk.

'But I can see us lost in the memory
August slipped away into a moment in time...'

'Cause it was never mine.' You continued the lyric.

Suddenly you had an idea, so you tore a page out of your notebook and started writting.

I thought I was the only Taylor Swift fan. Which sounds weird since millions of people listen to Taylor. Honestly, my favorite song by her is Maroon but August is also in my Top 5. How about you?

After the writting the letter, you folded the paper and stuck it under the desk. In order for the person to find the letter you drew an arrow on the desk pointing to the bottom of the desk, just in case.

The class was over and you walked to your locker with a grim on your face.

"Why are you grinning like that? Was math that good?" Your best friend asked teasingly.

"No, you know I hate math. Someone wrote down a lyrics from Taylor Swift and I continued and then I worte a letter to that someone." You said.

"Oh, so another Swiftie. This is the beginning of tru love." He said.

"Shut up. I don't even know who wrote it."

"Well, find out anyway. Maybe it's Sadie." He winked. "See you at lunch." He said goodbye.

I wish it was Sadie. You thought to yourself.

Sadie is the girl you've had a crush on for years. You didn't know about her to much but you just can't help liking her.

———

The next day you were back at maths, curiously feelimg the bottom of the desk for the letter. You took the letter and opened it. You smiled when you saw thag it had been answered.

Maroon is definitely in my Top 5 too but August is the Top 1. I honestly didn't think anyone would continue to the lyrics. I was surprised when I saw it but it immediately put a smile on my face. I wish I was Taylor Swift...Maybe in another life. Until then, Swiftie power. Okay that sounded better in my head, I don't know why I wrote it down. I'm sorry.

You laughed softly.

You have nothing to apologise for. But seriously, Swiftie power? Okay, I actually really like it. This could be the end of our letters. Anyway, I'm not gonna bore you with this, I'm gonne write something more creative. Like, how are you? Or is this very basic? Anyway, I'd really like to know how are you. Whoever you are. Swiftie power.

The next day the reply came again.

I'm fine, thank you. How are you? I hope you don't mind if I don't write down who I am, though, that's a secret until I meet you. Of course if you want to meet me but if not that's fine too. I just thought we could put a face next to the letters. What do you think? How about today, after school? Swiftie power.

———

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God." You said excitedly when you saw your best friend.

"What? What happened?" He asked curiously.

"Wants to meet."

"Who?"

"My pen pal." You said as you help up the letter in your hand.

"Oh my God, show me." He took the letter from your hand and began to read it. "You're going to meet, aren't you?"

"I...I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? You have to meet."

"Okay, but what if-"

"You have to meet. End of subject." He cut you off.

You looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Why do you want me to meet my pen pal so badly?"

"Believe me. You won't regret it." He winked.

———

You were standing in front of the school looking at something on your phone and didn't notice that someone had stopped next to you.

"I'm glad you came." She said.

You suddenly lifted your head and your eyes went wide when you saw who was standing next to you. It was Sadie.

"You...you knew it was me?" You asked shyly.

Sadie giggled. "You could say that, yes."

"But how?"

"Okay, don't freak out but...your best friend came up to me the other day and told me you wrote the letter."

"But why would he tell you?"

Sadie smiled. "He was sitting next to me in math and saw me answer your letter."

"Oh...now I can see why he wanted me to meet you so badly." You said as you scratched the back of your neck.

"Umm...would you like to go out with me?" She asked shyly.

"Like a date?"

Sadie nodded. "If you want to, if not that's fine too."

You smiled. "I'd love to go on a date with you."