Always and forever || S.S (part 2)

You and Sadie broke up almost a year ago. Tomorrow would be your 5th anniversary.

You're sitting on the edge of your bed in your room, turning a small box over in your hand, tears streaming down your cheeks. Not a day has gone by since the breakup that you haven't thought about Sadie or what it was like to be with her.

You were the happiest then and you thought you'd always be.

Always and forever.

That was the key phrase in your relationship. You promised Sadie you'd be together forever, but you broke your promise.

You feel guilt, disappointment and sadness. But also immense love. And they're slowly eating away at you.

You were sure that Sadie was the one for you. The one you wanted to live your life with. The plan was there, but the execution failed.

These thoughts made you angrier and angrier. You tried not to think about her, but everything reminded you of her. So many good memories together with bad ones in between, but it was perfect.

What the hell happened? Where did we go wrong?

Questions that were never answered.

Is it really the right person at the wrong time? Yes, no doubt about it but...

But... there's always a but. Bullshit.

You put the little box back in a drawer of the bedside table and then buried your face in your hands and cried unstoppably. You cried and cried until you felt like you had no tears left.

Then the bell rang.

You quickly wiped away your tears and ran to the bathroom to wash your face and then rushed to the front door. When you opened the door your eyes were wide open.

Sadie was standing in front of you.

Her eyes were swollen with tears but she was smiling nonetheless. It was the smile she used to use every time she looked at you. Her real smile. The one you love more than anything.

"Hi." She greeted you after a few moments of silence.

You shook your head at her voice as if you'd just come back to reality.

"Hi."

"Can we talk?" She asked shyly.

"Of...of course." You said stammering and then stepped away from the door so Sadie could come in.

"Can we go up to your room?"

"You know the way." You said with a slight smile on your face as you pointed towards the stairs.

"How well." Sadie said under her breath but not quiet enough for you not to hear.

———

After you went up to your room, you both sat down on the edge of the bed. There was silence for a few moments. Neither of you knew how to begin.

Sadie played with her fingers, you knew it was to relieve her nervousness.

Without hesitation you reached for her hand and intertwined your fingers while stroking the back of her hand with your thumb.