Never Let You Go (Part 2)

No matter how hard you thought it would be saying goodbye to Bucky when he left for Camp Lehigh, nothing you could ever imagine was as bad as it truly is.

It is agonising. You spend days lying in bed wishing that he was there beside you. Missing his touch, his voice, his smell, just his general presence.

Sure, you write letters to each other but of course it just isn't as good as seeing each other and speaking in person. Plus he hardly has a chance to write back and when he does they can only be fairly brief as he can't give too much away in case there is a breach of their mail.

Of course there are weekends when he gets to come home, maybe once every month or so and you treasure that time together as if it is borrowed. Which really it is.

But he isn't the same anymore. Not the Bucky Barnes that you remember.

He is always so tired. It's like they have beaten the charm out of him. He isn't so adventurous and he's far more disciplined. He really is becoming a soldier. It breaks your heart but at the same time you only love him more. You're so proud of him for pushing through and going through with this thing that he dreaded so much.

You find yourself spending more and more time with Steve. Not just to pass the time but to talk about Bucky. Both of you are more than happy to recall found memories or plan what to do on his next trip home.

On the morning you receive one of those familiar yellow, stained envelopes, you don't even open it before running to Steve's house to compare letters as you always do.

"Steve!" You shout as you barge through the door. "I got one! I got another letter! Did you?" You exclaim, waving it around in the air.

"Yeah I got one." You hear the familiar voice of your good friend.

You turn to see your little friend sitting on his couch looking at the envelope in his hands.

"I've been waiting for you to open it." He grins up at you. "But you were takin' so long I was about to go ahead and do it all on my own."

You smile and stick out your tongue at him as you plop yourself down on the couch next to him causing it to dip a little.

"It's the first one in ages." You remark.

"We best get to opening them then." Steve states.

You don't even reply before tearing the top of the envelope open and taking out the piece of paper and reading.

My dearest (Y/N),

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to write you lately but we have just had so much going on here lately. Training has really picked up and they're even sending us out over night.

I have been receiving all of your letters and want you to know that they bring joy to some of my dullest days here.

You'll be surprised how many of these men don't want to be here, much like me. It really is no fun. If this is bad I can't even imagine what the actual war will be like.

Anyway, I'll be coming home to Brooklyn next week. I've got something important to tell you.

With love, Bucky.

You gaspein excitement at his last paragraph before switching with Steve which is what you always do.

To Steve,

Steve honestly, take my word and don't sign up. This place is the pits. I know your lying to me when you say you aren't you punk. I've got (Y/N) telling me otherwise and frankly I believe her over you in this situation.

Thank god, I get to come home next week for a few days so you get to put up with my annoying ass for a while. Lucky you! I've got something to tell you so don't let me forget.

See you soon, Bucky.

"He's coming home!" You squeal, leaping up off the couch and pulling Steve up by the hands, swinging him and dancing around the room.

"He's coming home! He's coming home! He's coming home!" You chant. "Finally! It's been ages!"

It takes you a moment to realise that Steve is wheezing instead of replying to you.

"Oh shoot! Sorry Stevie!" You gasp before sitting him back down on the couch.

"S'all good." He croaks after a few quiet coughs. "Darn asthma, you know I could if I would sorry (Y/N)."

You sit quietly while he regains his breath.

"Wonder what he wants to tell us?" Steve finally speaks up.

"Dunno." You shrug. "Must be important if he won't just write it to us."

"Mmmm." He hums in thought. "Hope it's nothing bad."

"Yeah." You frown, pushing the possibilities to the back of your mind. "Doesn't matter. Ain't nothin' we can do about it till he tells us so we might as well set to organising a fun time for when he gets back. No point in stressin'."

"Yeah, good idea." Steve nods.

Suddenly he sniffles, his nose sounding blocked.

"You sure you're feeling okay?" You ask worriedly.

"Mhm, it's nothing but a bit a hayfever is all." Steve shakes his head dismissively.

"Sure it is, well make sure you get better for next week. We wanna make sure you're good and healthy for when Bucky gets home." You say in a motherly tone.

"I know I know." Steve huffs.

You felt sorry for him, he seemed to get sick at the worst possible times.

"Well I best get going, work starts in an hour. I'll be back to check on you tomorrow and we can figure out what we want to do for Bucky." You sigh, hauling yourself up off the couch. "Bye Steve."

"See ya later (Y/N)." You hear him call as you walk out the door with a spring in your step.

Bucky is coming home, and nothing is gonna ruin that.