The Howlies (Part 5)

The walk is longer and harder than you could ever imagine with the state that you're in. You along with many others alone the way need to stop and rest multiple times and you spew a few more times too.

Bucky becomes increasingly worried about you the whole way and doesn't let you out of his sight. You just keep saying that you're the one that should be worried about him after all that has just happened to him, although despite the way he looks he seems exceptionally energetic and you can't help but notice.

Whenever you ask him what happened to him he changes the subject or only gives you a very brief answer so you learn to leave the subject alone very quickly. Whatever it was he obviously isn't ready to talk about it.

Finally after a few days you make it back to camp. The excitement, amazement and cheering is undeniable amongst both your group and the men already at the camp when the see you all.

No one can believe it. There is whispering and shouting and clapping and everything in between.

"Look who it is!" someone shouts.

Everyone's faces are plastered with absolute shock as they pile out of their tents to see us all trudging in. Steve leads us straight to Colonel Chester Phillips who is standing there waiting with a straight face as usual.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Steve says firmly as he salutes the colonel.

"And (Y/N) too," Bucky leans forward and chimes in.

"No Bucky, I'm fine," you mumble but he just ignores your comment.

All around you men signal for medics and Bucky does the same for you.

"I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action," you hear Steve say over the ruckus.

You turn to him in shock. Why the hell would he say that? He just saved hundreds of you!

"That won't be necessary," Phillips huffs and avoids eye contact.

You can tell that Steve and him obviously had some kind of disagreement and he came out wrong, which you know he hates.

You get distracted by the bustling crowd for a moment and next thing you know when you look back, Steve and Peggy Carter who you have met a few times now are staring into each others eyes dreamily.

"Hey!" Bucky suddenly shouts above the crowd. "Let's hear it for Captain America!"

The crowd erupts and you can't help but smile and clap too. You feel a hand around your waist as Bucky hooks you into his side. You glance up at him and he grins back at you before pressing a kiss to the top of your head, all while encircling your waist and managing to clap.

Eventually the commotion dies down and slowly people start to dissipate, some with their friends, some to their tents, some with doctors. Peaking over the remaining crowd, still with his arm around you Bucky spots a free nurse.

"Ah! Nurse! She needs help please." Bucky waves her over.

"No Bucky, I'm fine." You whisper.

After doing some thinking on the trip home you think you might've figured out what's wrong with you. And you don't want to know for sure.

"Oh my gosh (Y/N)! You're okay! We didn't know where you had gone and then we heard about Azzano and I knew that was exactly where you had gone." The nurse exclaims as she rushes over.

Since there are very few ladies here you all know each other.

"She just couldn't get rid of that thirst for adventure." Bucky sighs and gives you a knowing look.