Night Owls

You stand on the balcony of your new apartment in Brooklyn. You just moved there from Chicago and are spending your first night.

Back home your favourite thing to do used to be to watch the stars in the evening. It gave you time to relax, reflect and think. So why would you change that when you came here?

The stars look different from this side and intrigued, you start to map out the new constellations that you can see. What makes it a bit disappointing is how cloudy it is.

A light breeze picks up and you wrap your woolen shall up around your shoulders tighter.

"Oh wow. I don't normally have company out here." You hear a deep voice say.

You turn to your right to see a figure leaning over the neighbouring balcony.

"Oh sorry, I can go if you want." You mumble shyly.

"What? No no! Stay, it's fine." The person who you are assuming is a man chuckles.

"Sorry, I'm new here." You blush although it won't be seen by him in the darkness.

"I figured." The man chuckles. "No ones lived in that building for a while now."

"Oh." You mumble.

"Where from?" They ask, you can just see their silhouette as they lean against the balcony, resting on their forearms with one foot tucked behind the other and their head turned towards you.

"Chicago." You sigh, thinking about home.

"Chicago?" They exclaim. "Wow that's a long way. I've never been to Chicago."

"It is. I love it there, miss it already." You huff. "I always used to watch the stars back home and so far they don't seem as good here."

"Oh trust me you'll grow to like it here." The man says. "I promise you the stars normally look way better than this. The sky isn't putting on a great show for you tonight but I reckon that you've probably got one of the best seats in Brooklyn."

"Guess I'll have to wait then." You chuckle.

"It'll be worth it." You can see him nod. "What's your name?"

"(Y/N)." You say. "What's yours?"

"Bucky." He says. "So (Y/N), tell me what brings you all the way to Chicago."

"For my dads work. He got moved so we had to follow." You sigh.

"You don't sound to happy about that." He asks concerned.

"(Y/N)! Come here please!" You hear your mum call before you get a chance to answer.

"Sorry, I have to go." You say guiltily before running inside.

"No problem, it was nice meeting you (Y/N)." You hear Bucky answer.

------

The next night you head back outside. It is a much clearer night and already you can see what that man Bucky was talking about when he said the stars look brilliant from here.

"Oh hey neighbour, look who came back!" You hear a voice that is very quickly becoming familiar to you exclaim.

"Do you come out here every night?" You chuckle, going to stand at the edge of your balcony that is closest to him.

"Yep." He says, popping the 'p'.

"Then I get the feeling that we will be seeing a lot of each other." You smile.

"Well that's not a bad thing." He says softly.

You can't help but blush at this. He seems very sweet. You just wish you could see what he looks like. The moon is shining a bit tonight but the most you can pick up on is that he has dark hair and his silhouetted figure gives away the fact that he is tall and well built.