The Howlies (Part 4)

You would think that the mood would be celebratory now that the base has been destroyed. But it is far from it. Everyone has quietened down and the few conversations left are only quiet murmurs.

You all think that that man, Captain America, that saved you has no hope of getting out now. And with him gone that means that Bucky and anyone else that could possibly have still been alive in there will be gone too.

No one knows what to do now; do you wait or do you start heading to safety? In all honesty your not sure where exactly safety is but the further from here the better off you all are.

"I say that we stay here until daybreak," Falsy suddenly stands up and says loudly so that everyone can hear. "There's no point in heading into the woods in the dark. It's dangerous and we are just likely to get lost."

There are a few protests and some nods of agreement.

"I think the Englishman's right." Dugan shouts in a booming voice over everyone. "We all need a good rest. I'm happy to keep watch while everyone sleeps and we will head off first thing. I'd say if the guards haven't come yet we are safe here."

"Alright well that settles it! Everyone get some rest! We will wake you up first thing in the morning." Falsworth instructs.

There are a few groans of disapproval - some people understandably just want to get the hell out of here - but everyone does as they've been told.

Shivering under the cold moonlight you find that as exhausted and energy sapped and ill as you are, you can't sleep. There's just too much going on in your head. As hard as you try to keep your eyes shut you find yourself constantly just staring up at the stars thinking about all the times Bucky told you how much he loved them.

After some time you give up and shuffle to go sit against the nearby tree trunk with Dum Dum.

"(Y/N/N), you should sleep. You look tired," he says lowly.

"I can't turn my mind off. You can go sleep if you want," you mumble.

"No I wouldn't want to leave you here alone." He shakes his head as you slide down to the base of the tree and lean your head against it.

"We will keep each other company then." You sigh.

He smiles at you and then goes back to looking into the distance.

"I'm sorry about Bucky," he says gravely after a while.

"It's okay." You shrug as you stare out into the distance, a pang radiating in your chest. "It was no fault of yours. His time was cut short by those awful Nazis but so were many others too."

"He was a good man and he really did like you you know," he says. "No man deserves what happened to him."

"No man deserves what is happening to any of you," you point out.

"And no lady deserves what you went through in there. Especially someone with a heart as kind as yours."

"Thank you Dugan." You smile gratefully up at him and rest your head on his shoulder.

In reply he reaches up a gloved hand and strokes your cheek in a fatherly fashion. "Try to get some rest my dear, you're going to need it."

                              ~~~~

It must've been later into the night because you've barely closed your eyes when the first rays of light start peaking through the cracks in the trees.

"We should start to wake them," Dugan murmurs and you rub your eyes and nod drowsily in reply.

With a grunt and a stretch Dum Dum is on his feet and stumbling lazily towards the nearest group of men. You are still half asleep and begrudgingly getting yourself up when you hear it.