Goodbye

With shaking fingers you wiped off your favourite thick red lipstick before you left the bathroom. It was your last night with Bucky before he shipped off.

His friend Steve had bailed way earlier and your friend Anita hadn't hung around for much longer after that when you guys had gone dancing, saying that she wanted to give the two of you some time to yourselves.

You and Bucky had been together for almost a year now and had a thing going long before that. In fact it would have been your one year anniversary next week, but as of this morning you had found out that now you couldn't spend it together.

Now you were back at your house, preparing yourself for these last few moments that you would get with the love of your life before he left for an indefinite amount of time. You walked out into the living room where Bucky had been waiting for you.

The room was dark and it was silent when you sat down beside him and placed a hand on his thigh.

"Dancing sure was fun wasn't it?" He said in a husky voice as he placed his hand on top of yours and stroked the back of your palm with his thumb.

He was looking down. He hadn't been himself all night, you could tell he was upset. You were too, but you weren't mad. He had been expecting the call for many weeks now. You had both prepared yourselves but it didn't make it any easier.

"It was, thank you Buck. Its been a great night." You said hoarsely before clearing your throat.

"Look doll, I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you earlier, but I didn't know." He said sadly, finally looking up at you, his sparkling blue eyes unmistakeable through the dull moonlight.

"Don't say that James, don't you dare. It's not your fault. This was the way it had to happen." You said through gritted teeth holding back tears as you cupped his smooth cheek in your hand.

He leaned into your touch affectionately.

"But, that way we could have spent more precious time together." He shot back.

"How? We've hardly been apart these last few months, we knew this was coming. You knew you would be drafted eventually. Look, this last year has been amazing with you and I can't wait to spend many more great ones with you when you return from the war." You explained.

"(Y/N), I know that before you I was known for never settling down with a girl, but then you came along and things were different. And I want you to know that if I don't come home, I love you, more than anything in the world." He whispered.
"Bucky stop. You are going to come home. Trust me you will, you will make it through this. And when you do, I will be waiting. And we will get married and start a family." You assured him as a single tear rolled down your cheek.

"I'm so sorry baby." He mumbled as he wiped it away.

"Don't be, please just come to bed and hold me one last time before you have to go." You cried as he pulled you to your feet.

You silently walked to your bedroom and slipped off your clothes before sliding into bed with him right behind you. He wrapped his arms around your waist and pressed his body against yours as you snuggled into his warmth.

"What time do you leave?" You whispered into his muscular chest as he stroked your silky hair.

"I have to be at the docs at 5am." He muttered.

"Wake me up before you go." You begged him.

"You know I'm not good at goodbyes." He said in a way that sounded like he was struggling to get the words out.

"You don't have to say goodbye, because your coming back." You reminded him half heartedly.

"You know what I meant Dot. I don't want to make this any sadder or harder for you than it already is, so I will just go, but please remember how much I love you." He said hoarsely.