Imagine If I Hadn't Jumped

What if Steve had jumped after Bucky?

There was an awful feeling in the pit of Steve's stomach as he hiffed the shield at the Hydra robot and tossed his helmet to the side. He didnt even check to see if the robot had been knocked down, all he cared about was Bucky now.

As he peered around the side of the gaping hole on the train he prayed that by some miracle Bucky would still be there, somehow having managed to grab a hold of something before it was too late.

Much to Steve's relief, there he was, clinging for dear life to a loose rail. The fear in his eyes was enough to make Steve spring into action.

"Bucky!" He shouted desperately. "Hang on!"

Steve started precariously inching his way onto the flap of metal. So many things were running through his mind. What if it couldn't take the weight of both of them? What if he doesn't get to him in time? If he does get to him what does he do then? It didn't matter. All that mattered was that he saved his best friend.

"Grab my hand!" He yelled and reached out as far as he could once he knew that he couldn't get any closer.

Bucky looked at him terrified. Steve knew from past experience that Bucky would be hating the fact that Steve was risking his life for him. But he also knew that Bucky knew that Steve wasn't going anywhere without saving him, so he was going to have to let him. They just knew each other like that.

Sure enough, Bucky let go of the rail and reached out for Steve's extended hand. It all happened so quickly after that.

The first try, their hands completely missed and Steve's stomach dropped as Bucky was dangling by one hand. But he was gripping so hard that he didn't let go, until he tried to reach out again for Steve. There was an awful screech as the rail Bucky was holding to shifted a little.

They could see it in each others eyes and they knew that Bucky was gone, they were two far away from each other. Finally, the rail gave way and there was a blood curdling scream as Bucky began to fall through the air.

"No!" Steve cried as he watched helplessly as his friend fell further and further away from his as the train sped off.

What happened next was without barely thinking. Steve knew that he couldn't let his friend just disappear like that, he had to at least find his body. It was his fault that he was in this situation. Steve couldn't even picture a life without Bucky, so if he died doing this it wouldn't matter to him.

Well. He thought as tears started to sting his cheeks against the cold wind. I guess it's time to put to the test how good these super abilities really are.

And with that he jumped out into open space.

The wind whistled in his ears as he was free falling. All he could see around him was a blur of white, black and green from the snow, rocks and trees.

Whatever happened when he came to the bottom he just hoped was quick and painless. As he could see the ground nearing he squeezed his eyes shut, held his breath and curled up into a ball awaiting impact.

When it came he was shocked. He plunged into an icy cold dark pit. When he opened his eyes he couldn't see anything except that by some miracle he had landed in water. He just hoped that Bucky had too.