It'll Get Better

You walk up the path to Bucky's house wringing your hands together nervously. You haven't seen him since it happened and even at the funeral he didn't speak to you so you don't know how he will react to seeing you.

All you know is that at the funeral he was overcome with grief. You could see him, sitting up the front, speaking at the alter, carrying the coffin, all the time with red, glassy eyes and tears slowly dripping down his cheeks, wiping his nose every so often.

You open the door and let yourself in knowing that he wouldn't answer if you bothered knocking because he hasn't been answering your calls either.

You just hope he isn't mad at you for any reason, that he's just really upset about his death and needs his space. That must be it. After all, he did love his dad so much, he was all he had left.

As you walk inside all you feel is silence and emptiness. If you didn't know better you wouldn't think anyone was home. Everything is neatly in place, not like it normally would be here.

All the curtains are open and pinned back, the dishes all done and stacked, pillows placed nicely on the couch. When you explore further into the house you can see that his bed is made and his room is tidy, yet he still isn't there. That only leaves one more possible place.

You head to the other side of the house, to his parents room. The door is just slightly ajar and sure enough when you open it there he is, placing a photo on their mantle. As you take a step the floor boards creek and his head shoots up in shock, just noticing you now.

But when he sees that it's you his eyes drift back down and he shuffles around awkwardly.

The two of you haven't spoken to each other in nearly two weeks now. That is unheard of between you two.

"Hi." Is all you manage to say.

"Hi." He replies quietly.

"How are you holding up?" You ask, stepping a little closer to Bucky.

"I'm okay I guess." He shrugs and turns back to adjusting the photo minutely.

You watch him in concern. You know he's lying. You can see it in his face, the way he acts, the way he stands, the way he speaks.

His eyes are dull. They don't have that bright spark that they normally do. Instead they are glassy and bloodshot, rimmed with red from crying so much. His shoulders are slumped and his lips just turned down slightly at the corners, his fingers shake as he wipes some dust off the shelf.

"I thought I should clean up a bit. You know, now that everything is over." He mutters as he moves on to smoothing out the bed spread.

"Bucky, how are you really?" You insist as you follow him and fluff a pillow.

You hear him draw in a heavy, shaky breath and sigh deeply before he stand up straight to look at you. His bottom lip starts to quiver and his eyes become watery again.

"How do you think?" He whimpers before embracing you in s sudden, unexpected hug.

"Oh Bucky." You sigh and hug him back, stroking his back soothingly. "I'm so sorry."

"I've got no one left." He sobs into your shoulder which you can now feel the fabric of your shirt dampening from his tears. "First mum and now dad. They're both gone."

"I wish I knew what to say but I really can't even begin to imagine how you feel right now." You say sadly and hold his head against the crook of your neck.

You've never seen him like this. He must be hurting.

"I'm only twenty one. I've hardly even lived. Your parents are meant to be there to see you grow up, get a job, get married. Now I've got no one to see that." He cries.

"You know you've always got my family to come to if you ever need someone. We are practically siblings." You whisper.

"Why did this have to happen? He was a good man. He didn't deserve this." He continues.

"You don't deserve this either. It's not fair on you Bucky. You're the kindest person I know and for this to happen to you... All I can say is it's just complete and utter bullshit. It makes me mad." You mumble as you start to cry too.

You hear him chuckle faintly and then he comes out from hiding in your shoulder. A glimmer of the smile that you love so much ghosting his lips.

"Wow you must be mad because you never swear." He says half hearted.

This causes you to laugh faintly too.

"Even when your the one that should be upset you always find a way to make everyone else happy." You smile at him admiringly.

At this he seems to be reminded of his situation and his face falls again. He wipes his eyes with his hand and then looks at his lap.

"I don't know what to do anymore (Y/N). They're both gone now. I feel so lost without them. What's the point in anything anymore?" He practically whispers.

"Bucky don't say that." You huff sadly and place a hand on his shoulder. "I know it'll never be the same but it will get better I can promise you that. It always does. The pain and loss will numb somewhat and you've got a whole group of us here to help you get over it along the way. Just think, they are both in heaven together happily now, with each other again. The way that it should be."

He looks up at you with tear stained cheeks and a tight lipped smile before leaning back in to hug you again.

"It'll get better." You sigh in his ear.

"Thank you (Y/N)." He mumbles.

"It's okay. What're friends for?" You murmur and squeeze him tight.