Are You Okay?

'Are you okay?'

It was a simple question. But it was one that changed your life. And at the time how were you supposed to know that?

A friendly gesture that anyone could've made. But it just so happened to be him. Funny how you ended up in the right place and at the right time, or perhaps you could say at the wrong time you guess.

Out of everyone in that room he was the only one that took notice, that came to talk to you when you needed it, that cared enough to make a difference.

~

"I'm really sorry (Y/N), I hope you can understand." He says guiltily.

"Yeah no it's fine." You shrug and wave him off with a smile. "I get it."

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" He asks concerned.

"Don't worry about me I'll be fine. Now go chase the girl of your dreams. She's sitting over there looking like you could buy her a drink." You say dismissively.

"Thank you (Y/N). There will be a guy out there one day that will be very lucky to end up with you but that guy is just not me." He sighs and pulls you in for one last hug before stepping away.

"Good luck and enjoy your night. You smile weakly at him but the moment he is gone your face falls and you slump down into the chair behind you.

Why you? Why do you always have to be the one to come off second best?

Why are you so nice to let boys keep using you as bait to get other girls and then just let them go without so much as a warning? Why do you forgive them so easily after you've expended time and energy into falling for them just to find out that the feeling hasn't been mutual all along?