Finally (Part 34)

"(Y/N)?" A distant voice calls. "(Y/N)!" It sounds like you're under water.

Someone shakes your shoulder. You blink as you look at them because you can't make out their face.

"(Y/N) are you okay? Did you hear me?" They ask, sounding a bit clearer.

"W-what?" You stutter almost inaudibly and shake your head to find the very concerned eyes of Steve, Peggy and Howard as they crouch in front of you and hold you steady in your seat.

"(Y/N), Hydra got Bucky," Steve repeats slowly.

"Is that why you called me here?" You ask quietly.

Nothing is making sense, nothing is sinking in.

"Yes, to tell you. I got back and called you straight away," he explains.

"Mrs Barnes are you okay? You don't look well," Howard asks.

"What do you think Howard?" Peggy scolds him incredulously.

"Sorry, just asking." He mumbles and looks away.

"Do you want me to tell you what happened or do you need a moment?" Steve continues. "I understand that this is crazy and hard to hear so take all the time you need."

You frown at him as you try to think about an answer to his question and for the first time you see how beaten up and exhausted he looks. As you'd expect him to be; they've been away for nearly a month now and it must've been a tough fight if it was Hydra.

"Just tell me now, I'd rather it be over with then waiting for more." You mumble weakly.

"Okay." He huffs and relaxes back into his seat now that you aren't about to faint but the other two still keep a steady hold on your arm and shoulder probably just for support. "So as you've probably already gathered, our suspicions were correct, Hydra is still out there. And you know that they've gotten Bucky once before already. I have no idea whether they were specifically targeting him and planned on taking him this time or if it was a spur of the moment thing but regardless, they took him. They have him. What happened was there was a group of ten snipers and assassins against the two of us. They tried to collapse the building that they were in with one of their blasters but it didn't really work and only a large beam fell, however Bucky got trapped under it. I had no idea if he had survived it but then he cried out and of course that drew attention to him. I tried to get to him in time but I had eight of the agents on my back while two of them went after Bucky. I'm so sorry, I really tried and I know it's my fault. I turned my back for one second to hit one of them who jumped on me and when I turned back they were gone and so was he. After I dealt with the rest of them I tried to follow them and I searched for hours but I couldn't find a single trace. I figured the next best thing to do was to come back here where I can get help and more information. I have no idea what they want with him, I have no idea what they've done with him or if he's even alive. I just know that he was injured already and they took him away," he explains slowly and carefully, never taking his eyes off of you and his voice becoming strained towards the end as he holds back his tears.

You on the other hand aren't quite as strong. Your hands start to shake and before you know it tears are painting your cheeks.

"I'm so sorry (Y/N)." Peggy whispers and squeezes your shoulder.

"(Y/N), believe me I am going to do everything I can to get him back. I'm going to search high and low until I find him. I will not rest until he is safely back here and we have answers," he says fiercely through gritted teeth as tears rim in his eyes.

"L-let me help you." You manage to get out.

"No way, it's too dangerous. There's no way I'm letting you get involved with Hydra. Bucky wouldn't allow it, if he knew I let you anywhere near them he would hate me. You just stay here, be safe and look after your family. That's the best thing you can do right now." He adamantly shakes his head.